• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

errors in study guides (2 Viewers)

kooltrainer

HSC
so far, i brought macquarie and excel for both prelim and hsc. i find that there r lots of errors in their sample answers and explanation..
eg macquarie physics hsc, page 10 to solution b)

it really gets ur confused and frustrated that u wasted so much time to figure its wrong.. this occurs to excel as well..

did u also find these errors as well? is there another kind of study guide thats written by more people (not jus one person like excel) so that theres less error...
guides that u recemmend.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Hmmm, a lot of the Excel study guides come as like 'Revised'/'Second Edition', etc? So shouldn't they be edited quite thororughly? But like all books, even school textbooks have mistakes in them. Best to find another person who agrees with you.

But I would still recommend Excel/Macquarie-particularly for basic information for cramming. Give 'The Leading Edge' a try?

HSC
Try checking the websites of Excel / Macquarie, I know that Leading Edge at least provides answers on their website and it's sure to be more up-to-date as it's easier to change.

kooltrainer

HSC
i find that macquarie focuses more on calculations which was wot previous syllabus focused more on.. but now syllabus have changed where calculation r less emphasised.
excel seems very broad .. =/
which one of excel or macquarie do u think is better? for both physics and chemistry..

kooltrainer

HSC
wot abt conquering chemistry ( is it a text book or study guide) .. is it any good??

LenaSaturn

Cheese worshiper
Sydney, NSW, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth
HSC
I have the conquoring chem book, our school got it for our chem class. It is a text book but has alot of information. I know for chemistry our old teacher recomemded the maquarie text book as it showed experiments & how they are meant to turn out which helped. Umm can't help ya with physics sorry I did chem & bio ^^
Goodluck finding a text book

Zephyrio

HSC
Every school textbook will have their mistakes.

I think that Conquering Chem by Smith is convoluted and all over the place. I'd prefer it more if it was more ordered and arranged in a better way.

undalay

HSC
Zephyrio said:
Every school textbook will have their mistakes.

I think that Conquering Chem by Smith is convoluted and all over the place. I'd prefer it more if it was more ordered and arranged in a better way.
However it has answers to long response questions and shows where each mark is allocated, which is definitely a huge plus. What other books has this?

shayla

HSC
Would the excel "survival guide" excel hsc" any use for the hsc? or does it depend on different people?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Depends on your taste, I guess. Have a check on both of them, especially on their structure, style and specimen exams.

Even a combination of both can be good.

kooltrainer

HSC
Kujah said:
Depends on your taste, I guess. Have a check on both of them, especially on their structure, style and specimen exams.

Even a combination of both can be good.
i personally like macquarie better because of the layout and spaces between topics.. excel is jus like an essay where everything is crammed..excel however seems to be lot thicker, and "common?".

which one do u think is better?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Some I like Macquarie, and some subjects I prefer Excel.

kooltrainer

HSC
anyone else have recemmendations of study guides for CHEM?
Kujah said:
Some I like Macquarie, and some subjects I prefer Excel.
yess, some u like macquarie, which one u like for CHEM?

argg.. why do i hav to ask 3 times

James747

HSC
I prefer excel better cuz macquarie is too brief and don't explain the stuff properly.

And as to the thread topic, I do occassionally find errors in textbooks but most of the time I don't suspect the answers wrong since I'm not all that smart. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)