• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

essay intro (1 Viewer)

drm

HSC
should the first sentence of an introduction be an argumentative but general take on question, or should the texts be addressed right off the bat?

SMARTYPANTS_SINGH

NESA WHY?
HSC
Pretty sure most people write their thesis (argumentative but general take on the question) as their first sentence. However that being said, you can also write that as your last sentence in your introduction. Everything depends on what your teachers like cause at the end of the day they are the people marking it.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
should the first sentence of an introduction be an argumentative but general take on question, or should the texts be addressed right off the bat?
it depends on the nature of the question itself (eg. some questions will frame the topic to be like ‘How does XYZ by Author achieve [this]?’) but for general questions it’s better for it to be framed as a general take on the question and then your next sentence introduces the text. for example my module b thesis was a very general idea on how people revise their pasts and some philosophy stuff about change and stasis and truth blah blah. then my next sentence was addressing the text in a way that said ‘This sentiment forms the foundation of XYZ by Author, where…’ so you start general then narrow it down.

MJRey

HSC
I always did two in one in the first sentence. I'd introduce my text and throw in the words of the question to show I'm getting straight to the point. Then in my next sentence I'd elaborate more on my thesis, but @Masaken's method is also valid and I applaud it :)

Reactions: drm

oliv36

HSC
it depends on the nature of the question itself (eg. some questions will frame the topic to be like ‘How does XYZ by Author achieve [this]?’) but for general questions it’s better for it to be framed as a general take on the question and then your next sentence introduces the text. for example my module b thesis was a very general idea on how people revise their pasts and some philosophy stuff about change and stasis and truth blah blah. then my next sentence was addressing the text in a way that said ‘This sentiment forms the foundation of XYZ by Author, where…’ so you start general then narrow it down.
Yes this is correct, it seems very difficult to address the question, link it to the rubric AND introduce your text all in one sentence? You'll need other sentences in your introduction.

Reactions: drm

MJRey

HSC
Yes this is correct, it seems very difficult to address the question, link it to the rubric AND introduce your text all in one sentence? You'll need other sentences in your introduction.
Yeah well of course you have other sentences in your in your intro. But I was concise enough that I could introduce my text and address the question in one sentence (linking to the rubric came after).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)