• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Essay Question: Help! (2 Viewers)

Orwell

HSC
Hey guys, I was recently given my new assessment task which is an essay. Here is the question:

“In the complex world of espionage, truth and justice are unattainable ideals.”

This is a comparative study for Module A. My question is, how do approach this essay? My school is so bad, I've never even been taught how to write a thesis statement. How can I structure it? Do I have to agree with the question?

Could you also link me some well written essay guides or essays centred around comparative studies. Btw, my two texts are Smiley's People and Spy Game although it's irrelevant as I'm just looking for structure here.

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Majority of the time, you will be agreeing with the question (also the easiest way to approach the Q). Since I've never learnt that topic, the only thing I can really tell you is to write a statement that agrees with the Q plus expand it a bit.

What I mean is:

Intro:
Thesis - broad (but not too broad that you're basically repeating the Q) and You have to add your own touch to it. Otherwise, it'll just look like one of those thesis that can be applied everywhere. It won't be unique and/or stand out to your marker
Intro 1st text - text type, year, author and what it's about in relation to your topic and Q at hand
Intro 2nd text
Optional: write a final line linking both texts together and reference back to Q

Easiest way to approach the Q is to split truth and justice

Para 1: text 1 answer why truth is unattainable
Para 2: text 2 """"
- Make sure you also reference back to the first text at the minimum in your topic sentence and concluding sentence. This provides a sense of continuity. If you're more skilled, do some further synthesis in your analysis of text 2.
- Topic sentence - draw a comparison to text 1, plus provide a unique perception of text 2 and how it agrees with your thesis & Q. Make sure it isn't too long of a sentence or your marker won't know what you're trying to say, and your message will get lost.
- Either 3-4 technique, quote & analysis
- IIRC, you'll need to make reference to context (at least I had to for Mod A 'love') and its impact on the texts
- concluding sentence, similar to topic sentence. Don't just reword the topic sentence LOL

Para 3: text 1 answer why justice is unattainable
Para 4: text 2 """"

Conclusion
- if you're running out of words/time:
- 1st sentence: mention both texts and how it agrees with Q
- 2nd sentence: a further summary sentence of your essay
- Make sure that aside from agreeing with the Q, you also draw a comparison between both texts as this is a comparative study

- If you're not running out of words/time:
- Split the 1st sentence, so each text has it's own line. This enables you to provide and show your deeper insight into both texts + make comparison between the texts
- Make sure what you say is not just rewording your intro, but provides a deeper insight (as you have just written 4 body paras on WHY it agrees).

Not sure if this helped at all lmao

Orwell

HSC
Authenticity, this has helped greatly. Thank you!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Majority of the time, you will be agreeing with the question (also the easiest way to approach the Q). Since I've never learnt that topic, the only thing I can really tell you is to write a statement that agrees with the Q plus expand it a bit.

What I mean is:

Intro:
Thesis - broad (but not too broad that you're basically repeating the Q) and You have to add your own touch to it. Otherwise, it'll just look like one of those thesis that can be applied everywhere. It won't be unique and/or stand out to your marker
Intro 1st text - text type, year, author and what it's about in relation to your topic and Q at hand
Intro 2nd text
Optional: write a final line linking both texts together and reference back to Q

Easiest way to approach the Q is to split truth and justice

Para 1: text 1 answer why truth is unattainable
Para 2: text 2 """"
- Make sure you also reference back to the first text at the minimum in your topic sentence and concluding sentence. This provides a sense of continuity. If you're more skilled, do some further synthesis in your analysis of text 2.
- Topic sentence - draw a comparison to text 1, plus provide a unique perception of text 2 and how it agrees with your thesis & Q. Make sure it isn't too long of a sentence or your marker won't know what you're trying to say, and your message will get lost.
- Either 3-4 technique, quote & analysis
- IIRC, you'll need to make reference to context (at least I had to for Mod A 'love') and its impact on the texts
- concluding sentence, similar to topic sentence. Don't just reword the topic sentence LOL

Para 3: text 1 answer why justice is unattainable
Para 4: text 2 """"

Conclusion
- if you're running out of words/time:
- 1st sentence: mention both texts and how it agrees with Q
- 2nd sentence: a further summary sentence of your essay
- Make sure that aside from agreeing with the Q, you also draw a comparison between both texts as this is a comparative study

- If you're not running out of words/time:
- Split the 1st sentence, so each text has it's own line. This enables you to provide and show your deeper insight into both texts + make comparison between the texts
- Make sure what you say is not just rewording your intro, but provides a deeper insight (as you have just written 4 body paras on WHY it agrees).

Not sure if this helped at all lmao
Do you have a sample essay with citation and analysis for us?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)