essays (1 Viewer)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
When it somes down to the economics essays, how do you guys structure yours? And also if you've been given any essay to do recently, post them here.
Cheers

bobo123

HSC
havent done an essay recently soz :p
but i usually start with something totally off topic, like shakespeare quotes

i think i quoted a line off hamlet once to start off a interest rate essay

i reckon if you dig straight in, the marker thinks you're a newbie :)

AGB

HSC
i think the structure of my essays is pretty common...but newayz

in the introduction, my first sentence is always my thesis. following that are the reasons for my thesis (not in the form of a list), and the last sentence is a contemporary issue relating to the topic...

following that is a background paragraph containing things such as definitions of key terms, clarification etc...i.e. if the question was 'analyse the impact of globalisation on the global economy' definitions would be of globalisation and the global economy...

in the body, each paragraph starts off with a topic sentence that provides a thesis on the topic of that paragraph (huh?? hehe) and then an explanation/analysis/evaluation/or woteva of that mini-thesis. the last sentence is always a resolution sentence.

the conclusion re-states the thesis and the main reasons for it.

in my opinion, there is no one right way to write an essay...this is just the way that i write them!!

cheers

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Introduction/stance on topic.

Defintition (if nedded)

Identify issue/s. Then: cause ---> Effect/s

Example/s

Conclusion

Ac

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
most of the above sounds fine ...

if your teacher hasnt already drilled it into you, you must know your verbs and this is also true for economics ...

the essays has the basic structure of: introduction, body and conclusion ...

introduction should address the question ... and in it address certain keywords in the question (and give concise definitions, if necessary) ...

body should develop you main arguments ... include relevant statistics (pref up to date), quotes (maybe), graphs to clarify and impress the marker ...

conclusion - draws you ideas together ... and something else which ive forgotten ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
*nods*

Originally posted by flyin'
conclusion - draws you ideas together ... and something else which ive forgotten ...
I also used the conclusion, in direct conflict with traditional "english essay structures", to introduce future trends and directions for the particular issues being discussed in the essay.

AGB

HSC
did any of the markers every deduct marks for that???

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I dun think so
well for assessments, no - my eco teacher encouraged it, and I did it for my essays in the HSC and got 91...so it must've worked to an extent

ashwin

Creator
HSC
An essay is like a hammering a nail. If u stuff it up (miss the nail) u hurt yourself (hurt chances of high marks)

:argue: :apig: :mad1: :confused: :chainsaw:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ashwin
An essay is like a hammering a nail. If u stuff it up (miss the nail) u hurt yourself (hurt chances of high marks)
on the same note, if you practice hammering a nail enough it is less likely you will miss and hurt yourself ... but by that time, your fingers would have all been broken :)

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think i took a bit of a different approach with the essays from you all. Unlike english/history essays I was told that economics essays should be straightforward and mathematical.

Most questions, even if they are a single line can be divided up. I find it really helpful to do a quick skeleton to make sure i will cover all the areas/issues/solutions to be addressed. The beauty of eco is that you can really extend any question indefinitely in any direction you want if u go with the old cause/effect/hypothetical result vicious cycle.

Make sure that you think about *all* possibilities. If its on globalisation, bring in influences on monetary and fiscal policy, which can be extended to unemployment etc...

I learnt my info in lists (just my learning method, but i can recommend it), and i tended to devote a para to each point or 2. depending obviously on the nature of the question. For globalisation it may be : trade, investment, finance, technology, labour etc....

A conclusion may or may not be necessary, depending on verb used.

There is no *definitive* structure, and methods work differently for each individual. I will just reiterate the importance of practice essays. After several of these, u begin to devlop a system. Especially once u do a few on the same topic. e.g employment for me had the generic divisions: cyclical, structural, frictional/seasonal etc, long term & hidden. Then effects: social, economic. Then possible solutions: macro/micro. I think i've forgotten some (it has been 4mnths) but u get the idea (i hope).

If u gave an essay topic, it would be easier to assist.

ashwin

Creator
HSC
Ok, here is an essay topic:

"Discuss the impact of globalisation upon standards of living"

List the things u would talk about. Please.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well firstly u should note the verb "Discuss", hence u would need to talk about some of the positive and negative aspects of globalisation upon std. of living. Some things u could talk about could be some general paragraphs on growth of the global economy including statistics, talk about HDI's and such, mentioning that although HDI's of the world's richest economies have increased through globalisation because of its embracement of market liberalisation, the HDI's of less globalised nations grow at a slower rate, meaning a greater divide in the std. of living around the world, and hence, the benefits of globalisation only go toward those nations that can afford to compete.
Thats' one direction u could take?

Taz

ThankGodItsNotStill2003
Some of you seem to be having a bit of trouble with your essays.

Why dont you suggest th your teacher that he/shee set you an essay question once a week, or every two weeks or something so that u get to practice and throughout the year you will get a lot better. Our teacher gives us an essay to "consilidate our learning" and we have one due every second friday. Its a really good way to make sure you understand everything u r doing and it also helps you get very familar with the structure of an essay!

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Taz
Some of you seem to be having a bit of trouble with your essays.

Why dont you suggest th your teacher that he/shee set you an essay question once a week, or every two weeks or something so that u get to practice and throughout the year you will get a lot better. Our teacher gives us an essay to "consilidate our learning" and we have one due every second friday. Its a really good way to make sure you understand everything u r doing and it also helps you get very familar with the structure of an essay!
we write one compulsory essay on monday in class, and hand another optional one in on friday......essays aren't just something that u can study and learn how to do it from sum textbook. u actually hav to practice them to be good at them...

Taz

ThankGodItsNotStill2003
Originally posted by AGB

we write one compulsory essay on monday in class, and hand another optional one in on friday......essays aren't just something that u can study and learn how to do it from sum textbook. u actually hav to practice them to be good at them...
I totally agree with that. As the old saying goes... PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT... and although it may sound a lil corny, its very true. I know for a fact that i am getting a lot better at my essays coz we have to do a lot of practice. The essays are not compulsary and i have noticed that the people that dont bother o do them arent as active in class discussions and dont know anywhere near as much as others that do do them.
:) :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
speaking from experience, if u all do wat Taz n AGB do now, Band 6 will be pretty easy to achieve in Eco

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)