Ex Exchange Students (1 Viewer)

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
Hey, just wondering where other people went on student exchanges to, what they thought, how long they went for etc.
anything at all

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
oh, and dont laugh at my sig, it looks a tad gay but im working on getting a better one

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
are you from japan?
never being :( but there this japanese dude at school exchanged he give us a card wid his details adna photo of him :/

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
im not from japan, if you want to be really politically correct im from malaysia, born there but lived in sydney all my life since i can remember. im on a year exchange in japan at the moment, just wondering what other people did on their exchange. and yes i realise some japanese guys can be a tad weird. perhaps some of that weirdness has rubbed off. very scary:confused:

Jin-17

U should see the fashion these days, in good old japan. Its sort of getting abit funny. U will enjoy it, going to japan, but I hope u learned all the little rules and so on with the people. Such as U cant stare at someone as this is inading their space, u cant pint your foot up or at the person as this is considered a threat, u always havt to bow waist down, no shoes, use the same bath water as the rest of the family, no shower in morining, have to bow to everyone u know, and etc and etc.

ellipsis

HSC
How hard is it for you speaking Japanese ?

Because I did both Japanese and German up until year 10, before I dropped Jap. I always found German heaps easier than Jap, and I think I had a much wider German vocabulary and would have been able to use more complicated sentence structure etc than in Japanese.

So I was just wondering how you find it. Can you express everything you want to ? Or can your host family speak some English ?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
wow, people actually like me:D . japan`s been pretty cool, been here since March so thats over 3/4 already, its gone so fast. most of what Jin said is true, you find stuff out the hard way though but everyone here expects all foriegners to know nothing. its pretty cool to bow to everyone you see on the street and in school and have the other person bow back. you dont have to go down to waist level, a simple nod of the head is fine. i dont know much bout the foot thingy being provocative but then i havent tried.

now that its nearly winter the whole family sits in the hot bath every night, its a great time of the day just to sit there for ages. you try not to look at the water to see the floating skin particles and hair and you make sure you have a rinse off afterwards.

in school you wear coloured slippers according to your year, theres no heating so your feet freezes a bit. but these are just a bit of jap culture, theres heaps more but i cant be bothered saying it.

the jap i learned in school is practically useless over here, not really i guess but youve got to change everything into plain speech which is different from the polite stuff u learn in aus. at the start it was hilarious to talk with people cos my jap was crap and their eng is crap so we all had a laugh. but now its easier, theres still stuff i dont know but daily convos are cool and i can understand heaps more than when i came. so im happy. they learn eng here from primary school upwards but in high school they mainly only learn grammar and writing so their speaking is a bit dodgy. my family cant speak much english, just have to keep the dictionary close.

and yes, Frodo rocks. but can i ask why he never gets married? I know tolkien wasnt much on the romance side and i guess the Arwen/ aragorn relationship is hard enough to come up with but couldnt he have found a nice hobbit for frodo? ah well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)