• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Exceeding credit point limit in degree (taking extra units) (1 Viewer)

leekiss

HSC
I need to study an extra 2 units in order to complete an extra major in my degree, however it means that I've exceeded the maximum credit point limit.

Has anybody been able to study extra credit points/units in the degree? Is it allowed?

S

slively03

I need to study an extra 2 units in order to complete an extra major in my degree, however it means that I've exceeded the maximum credit point limit.

Has anybody been able to study extra credit points/units in the degree? Is it allowed?
they dont care. i did an extra unit just for fun last year and nobody minded.

merillem

HSC

I thought that under HESA (Higher Education Support Act) you are not permitted to take additional, Commonwealth-supported units once you have met your degree requirements.

The reality is probably that with most universities graduating thousands of students a year nobody is really checking that closely and you could probably get away with it. Most unis make you 'nominate' your intention to graduate before checking to make sure you're eligible, so as a minimum you should make sure you haven't got your 'expected completion date' set to the end of the year.....assuming you're eligible to graduate at the end of the year.

chippendale

HSC
N/A
I've actually contacted the Arts faculty regarding this (at UNSW) and they told me that once you fufill the required uoc they automatically put you as being a potential graduate - meaning you can't enrol in extra subjects without consent.

leekiss

HSC
I think I have it sorted with my uni. I'm able to enrol in 1 extra unit (it does say this somewhere in the rules) only.

For the 2nd extra unit I wanted to do, they've substituted a unit that I thought I needed to do with one I've already done. Something to do with the fact that I already commenced the major before they made changes to units required to complete the major.

Yeah they do block you from enrolling if you've exceeded the limit so you have to email them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)