Experience with take home exam (1 Viewer)

randomusyd

HSC
I have a couple of take home exams this year. I pretty much have no idea what it's like.
When do you hand it in? On the last day of the exam period?

Share you thoughts on it or preferences and experiences if you have done it.

izzy88

HSC
Take home exams vary alot between subjects. In my experience they are generally due before the end of exams - normally in week 13 or stuvac/first day of exams. Sometimes you may get 1 day (eg. Released at 9am Monday and due 9am Tuesday) or they may go for a couple of days (more common - also over weekends). I think I even had one were I got a week (although this starts to feel more like an assignment rather than a take home exam. Generally with take homes you don't need to use footnotes or anything and aren't expected to research - just use your lecture notes and readings.

It can be quite good to have take homes as it generally means you finish a subject before exam period so you can then focus on your other subjects. It also means you don't have to worry about memorising stuff.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I had a take home exam for RSEC1031 and I have to admit I was much more nervy doing that in contrast to a standard exam. Considering that take home exams are open book, I found that if I was having trouble with a particular question I would panic because I had been afforded the extra flexibility. During exam conditions, you have to pass that feeling off and continue.

I suppose it could have been because of the structure of the exam itself where each question led onto the next one but otherwise I figured it out in the end (I presume. We never got the marks back).

randomusyd

HSC
It can be quite good to have take homes as it generally means you finish a subject before exam period so you can then focus on your other subjects. It also means you don't have to worry about memorising stuff.
I like that! Final exams just give me the creeps.

(I presume. We never got the marks back).
I hate when that happens. I always end up calculating my marks based on my results. :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)