• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

experiment help (1 Viewer)

HSC
In an experiment to examine the breakdown of starch by dilute hydrochloric acid and by an enzyme; we added iodine to the starch and HCl solution, then sodium hydroxide, before we added the benedict reagent.

Why did the solution of starch and HCl have to be neutralised with sodium hydroxide before we added the benedict reagent to test for gucose and maltose?

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
This is BIOLOGY! or it's not in Production of Materials!

Last edited:

brenton1987

HSC
N/A
starbuckscoffee said:
Why did the solution of starch and HCl have to be neutralised with sodium hydroxide before we added the benedict reagent to test for gucose and maltose?
Benedict's Solution contains copper (II) sulfate which is reduced to copper (I) oxide by the reducing sugars.

Cu(I) oxide dissolves in HCl to form HCuCl2. This would result in a negative test.
In alkaline solution the Cu(I) oxide forms a red precipitate which indicates a positive test.

cameron0110

HSC
Based on the ever reliable Wikipedia I'm guessing its a combination of the solubility/reactivity of Cu2O (which will react with HCl to give soluble CuCl if HCl is still around) and the fact that base is actually required for the reduction of Cu(II) to Cu(I) by the sugar. So if HCl was still in solution then Benedict's reagent will just neutralise the HCl rather than creating basic conditions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)