Explaining how scaling/ATAR works (1 Viewer)

Mum of two

HSC
N/A
Someone posted a really great post about how scaling/ATAR works the other day. Sorry to be a pain, but I can't find it now. The first comment was someone saying, "hey that's so-and-so's post!".... It was several paragraphs long, but a great detailed explanation. Don't spose anyone knows what I'm talking about and could possibly repost it?? :blink2:

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Maybe try search for it? Or look in the ATARs & HSC Mark section?

If you want a general gist of it, scaling for subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, 3U/4U Maths, Economics and Modern History (of the top of my head) has high/better scaling as they are more challenging subjects evident in the range of results. Subjects such as Legal Studies, Business Studies, Biology, Standard English etc are low scaling where low marks won't be aligned higher in the HSC mark.

However, it doesn't matter what subjects a student does, the general rule is to attain a high rank internally and smash the standardised external exam to beat the curse of low scaling subjects and to obviously have better scaling subjects to have its effect as well.

Last edited:

Mum of two

HSC
N/A
Maybe try search for it? Or look in the ATARs & HSC Mark section?

If you want a general gist of it, scaling for subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, 3U/4U Maths, Economics and Modern History (of the top of my head) has high/better scaling as they are more challenging subjects evident in the range of results. Subjects such as Legal Studies, Business Studies, Biology, Standard English etc are low scaling where low marks won't be aligned higher in the HSC mark.

However, it doesn't matter what subjects a student does, the general rule is to attain a high rank internally and smash the standardised external exam to beat the curse of low scaling subjects and to obviously have better scaling subjects to have its effect as well.
Yeah, I tried to search for it, ta anyways.

Mum of two

HSC
N/A
Using a shared computer, clear my history after each use. Good suggestion though!

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
No it's not, but it is a very detailed explanation, thank you! The post I read was in much more simpler format and only half a dozen paragraphs long.
tbh just read the link's one, it's probably more accurate. You're probably spending more effort looking for the old one than now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)