Explanation of Assessment (School) Marks (1 Viewer)

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I've noticed a few people already have been asking why their assessment marks, or the marks they got in school, are so different to what they thought because of their raw marks.

When your school submits your marks, you are given a rank. Say you've come first in Biology in your cohort. Let's say your raw mark was 90.

You then sit the HSC exam.

The BoS takes your rank and assigns it according to your cohorts exam marks. So if you are ranked first, you will receive the top exam mark as your assessment mark. For anybody ranked between 1st and last, you receive your mark aggregated between the top and the bottom mark (why is why it was important for your whole cohort to do well).

For the case of first place, if you don't do as well in the exam as you thought AND your cohort doesn't, unfortunately, your assessment mark will be lower than expected. In my biology example where you had a 90 raw mark, if you only scored 80 in the exam, your assessment and external mark will be 80.

I hope this makes a little more sense. It is pretty confusing when your external mark isn't what you've expected because your raw mark was much higher (or lower). I had the same thing happen to me with English last year, and unfortunately because my class and I all didn't do so fantastically together, our marks were all lower than we wanted/expected.

Sorry if anything is confusing, I'm pretty tired atm.

Anyway, best of luck to you all with atars tomorrow, and I hope you all find your paths in the future to be happy and successful ones :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)