Explanation of UAI (1 Viewer)

MCOLT

HSC
after much reading and confusion i think i have the whole uai thing, if anything is wrong please correct but this is what ive picked up so far.

1. during school its not really your marks that matter but more your ranks and the difference of marks between ranks.

2. coming 1st in a subject means that you are immune from internal assesment moderation provided you come first in the actual HSC exam.

3. when you do the HSC exam you get a raw mark, which is then aligned to make the examination mark. (from what ive seen the marks go up like 95/105 in maths is equal to 90/100 or 75/105 equal to 85/100 in english)

4. your internal assesment mark is then moderated and can go up or down depending on your schools perfromance.

5. however if you came 1st in internal assesment and the examination your aligned mark becomes your assesment mark. therefore it is not moderated.

6. your aligned mark and assesment mark are then added together and divided by two to give you the average. this is known as the HSC mark

7. the HSC mark is the mark that should be put in to SAM or Juai which then gives you a uai prediction based on last years results.

8. the HSC mark is scaled according to different subjects and then you get another number

9. this number comes from all your subjects and is out of 500 (not sure..)

10. this then determines your rank in NSW which determines your UAI

Im not sure if this is correct but is my understanding so far any help would be appreciated.

LostAuzzie

HSC
MCOLT said:
8. the HSC mark is scaled according to different subjects and then you get another number
The HSC mark reported on your results is not used in the calculation of your UAI, the raw marks are used and it is these marks that are scaled.

Also Maths is out of 120 not 105 ;)

volition

arr.
HSC
Yeah, I think that's all correct, from what I've heard. (with that correction on no.8)

MCOLT

HSC
with sam and juaiseeker do you put in the corresponding aligned marks like in maths a raw mark of 95/120 in 2004 equates to an aligned mark 90/100.

also does sam calculate the raw marks or aligned marks because when i put in some aligned marks in sam it looks to good to be true

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
There are a few minor things you said that aren't entirely correct but I have the feeling you know what they mean.

e.g.

5. When you come first in your class, and first in the exam, your internal assessment mark is still moderated, and it will be moderated to the mark equal to the HSC exam mark of the first place holder, in this case, the same person.

8. The HSC mark is not the mark that is scaled to give the UAI. In fact, it's the raw HSC mark that is scaled and aggregated to give the UAI. Which in basic terms means the mark you see when the HSC results are released is in fact not the mark used to determine your UAI.

MCOLT

HSC
could you correct any mistakes because i want this thread to be as accurate as possible

HSC
What! I am so confused. So the mark you get from your school (internal) and your exam mark in the HSC? What bearing do they have on your UAI? (I am only looking for something simple, nothing too detail, I am just having trouble understand, I have tried though :( ) Sorry for being a pain in the butt.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
the exam mark stays
so for example if you got 80/100 in geography thats stays
only thing changes is your assessment mark......say for example if you came 5th in geography in your class then in the exam you have the 5th highest exam mark as your assessment mark and the shc mark is the average of your assessment and exam mark

Bookie

Banned
HSC
So is this right;

I come 3rd in my internal rankings for Maths.

Come October, in the extrenal exam, I get 99.

James, who comes 3rd within my school in the external exam, gets 95.

I get 97 seeing as it is the average of 95 and 99.

My 97 is scaled up to 98 or whatever.

This 98 is added to all my other units to get my best possible mark out of 500.

Then I am ranked with the rest of NSW and given my UAI

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Bookie said:
So is this right;

I come 3rd in my internal rankings for Maths.

Come October, in the extrenal exam, I get 99.

James, who comes 3rd within my school in the external exam, gets 95.

I get 97 seeing as it is the average of 95 and 99.

My 97 is scaled up to 98 or whatever.

This 98 is added to all my other units to get my best possible mark out of 500.

Then I am ranked with the rest of NSW and given my UAI
That is incorrect for the bottom half. Maybe I shouldn't of mentioned the UAC scaling.

To correct it, after you get 97 (The average of the 2 marks, also known as the HSC mark), that is it. Nothing more happens to that mark.

The UAC scaling to determine your UAI is basically an entire different process. It uses your raw HSC mark, which is not publically revealed to students. That scaled mark the UAC uses then becomes aggregated.
That process is entirely hidden from the student. So I'd try not to worry much about it.

香港!

HSC
What if I'm 4th in a subject at school.
In the external exam I get 95 and the person who gets first gets 65.
THat person now gets 95 for his internal...
What about me?
What does his 65 do to me lol

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes that person gets 95, providing that 95 is the highest mark.
His 65 doesn't do anything to you unless that 65 is the 4th highest mark.

And it won't be necessarily the 4th highest mark that you get. As said earlier in this thread, the relative difference in marks between each student is taken into account so that the difference between each other in the moderated assessment mark is similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)