• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Extension 2 and Area of Study. (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

Ok, are any of you guys like me (and most of my class)? We're all Extension 2 students, all of whom are talented in their own ways. 11 of the 13 people in our class did short stories.

Having said this, it should be assumed that we would do well in the creative writing section of the Area of Study paper. Well, the Trials proved that this was incorrect. Most of the people in the English Extension 2 class got close to failing marks for Section 2 of Paper 1.

I don't know if we're just really bad under a time limit or if the marker has something against the Ext 2 group. My teacher was pretty pissed at her (the marker), and thought we should have received better.

Meh. I got 8/15.

Are any other Ext 2ers in the same position?

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I don't actually do Ext 2 yet, but I will be doing it once my school give me the yay or nay.

I find that in exams I write very poorly as I don't have the time to come up with a decent plot or anything and I go really well when I have time to do it, like a few weeks or so.

I think most "talented" writers would say the same thing. Throw a few pro authors into exam conditions with a time limit and a crappy pen and they'll probably do the same.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
I did pretty shit in my trial as well, because I basically just shut off and wrote crap for 40 minutes, whereas you still have to write really well to go well. You can't just fall assume you'll do well because of all the added practice, you still need to be creative and have all the lit. techniques like metaphors and alliteration and recurring motifs and all that. At least, that's what my teacher said. For our trial we had to write a letter about journeys into memory - so pretty much everybody wrote about songs, photos etc. so of course the people who didn't got marked higher for being more creative.

I'm actually glad I did shit in my trial for that section, it means that today's question was a lot easier for me, because I knew exactly what/how I had to write

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I did critical, but i sucked at the stories anyway (9 or 10). Do you do the whole writing across the page and all that stuff when you write? Cause apparently that stuffs you up. I submitted one of those for practice, but i was told it'd do poorly

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
nothing in EE2 prepares you to write under such harsh conditions - timed, no preparation, usually with a stimulus. EE2 is totally different, it's a research task which you stew over for months and have plenty of time to perfect *coughs*. I usually do pretty well in the creative writing, but that's based on the fact that my actual writing skills are good, which saves me from the fact that my concepts are generally non-existant. If you write something existential it's very cliched but hits the mark in an exam since you don't have to have a concise plot. Works for me :)

HSC
N/A
You guys got to do creative writing in Trials? no far.

At HGHS, we kinda... didn't... have a Section 2 in our AOS paper :l

but yeah. I think that we're pretty creative here in EE2, but nothing really beats writing a story under stressed conditions AND a time limit other than writing a story under stressed conditions AND a time limit...

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Do you do the whole writing across the page and all that stuff when you write? Cause apparently that stuffs you up. I submitted one of those for practice, but i was told it'd do poorly
What do you mean?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
glitterfairy said:
You guys got to do creative writing in Trials? no far.

At HGHS, we kinda... didn't... have a Section 2 in our AOS paper :l

but yeah. I think that we're pretty creative here in EE2, but nothing really beats writing a story under stressed conditions AND a time limit other than writing a story under stressed conditions AND a time limit...

YOU WHAT?!

how on earth did that happen!!

I usually do pretty well in creative writing, but thats just cos i've asked and asked and asked what they look for. and they look for techniques within your writing and stuff so i chuck that in... its all good :)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
You know how you have that whole po-mo writing down the page so that you encourage the reader to read it in a certain way.

Like you'd
_________have a
_______________line that
______________________goes like
_____________________________this...

Yeah, i did that and it stuffed me up :(

EDIT: Well that didnt work! okay, ignore the underscores :p

Last edited:

fuckfoot

has no soul
HSC
i found extesnion 2 helped my creative writing in exams just because i would write so much descriptive stuff all the time... and then throw it out

but in exams it'd all just come on me at once... the terror, the fear, the sense of "shit-i'm-doing-short-story-and-if-i-stuff-this-up-i-can't-look-my-teacher-in-the-eye"

and i'd recycle the stuff i threw out. full marks for trials and half-yearly, but most of the english department recognises my handwriting... so they might be trying to save face or something. eh.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I think it has to do with....

If your AoS was postmodernism for example in Extension 1, therefore Extension 2, it clashes with English Advanced because they WANT you to stick with traditional narrative structures, authors who control everything, and such...

My teacher warned that doing a postmodern story in Advanced won't do very well... since markers are allocated specifically to each Module, and not all english teachers took a course on postmodernism, thus they may think your creative writing is complete trash.

Does that make sense??? My sleeping pattern has been altered a little....

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I think it has to do with....

If your AoS was postmodernism for example in Extension 1, therefore Extension 2, it clashes with English Advanced because they WANT you to stick with traditional narrative structures, authors who control everything, and such...

My teacher warned that doing a postmodern story in Advanced won't do very well... since markers are allocated specifically to each Module, and not all english teachers took a course on postmodernism, thus they may think your creative writing is complete trash.

Does that make sense??? My sleeping pattern has been altered a little....
In the prelim's for creative section I wrote an "overly conceptual" story and got 8/15 for it. I had a huge argument with the teacher who marked it. I realised that they really want something very simple, and that they seem to get upset when anyone rocks the proverbial boat. I learnt from my mistake and for the trials thought out a story with a normal narrative OCER progression. I got 15/15 for it. Ext 2 students are generally above average creative writers, and usually write in unique and layered ways. If you apply just your descriptive powers to a simple story you will ace that section. Its just a matter of pandering to a marking criteria if you want to get the high marks. It sucks, but it will get you an A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)