Extracurriculars for Uni Applications & Scholarships (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all,
I’m seeking advice for extracurriculars and achievements I should be doing come University applications and for possible scholarships.

I’ve been doing a lot of extracurriculars, both in and out of school but is there a general rule of thumb I should follow? My achievements are centred around volunteering work, academic achievements, out-of-school writing competitions, leadership roles and personal passion projects. But should I pick up a sport or something?

dasfas

HSC
It's not a set of boxes you can tick off. Pick a small set of activities you are GENUINELY passionate about, and do them to the HIGHEST level for a LONG period of time.

In my case, I played an instrument for something like 12 years, was in cadets for 5 years and was at the top national level for both. I dedicated myself to something I was genuinely passionate about and excelled at it.

If someone volunteered for 5 different organisations, 10 different clubs, 15 different sports etc... it comes off as very insincere and scholarship offices will instantly see through it.

Quality > quantity

HSC
It's not a set of boxes you can tick off. Pick a small set of activities you are GENUINELY passionate about, and do them to the HIGHEST level for a LONG period of time.

In my case, I played an instrument for something like 12 years, was in cadets for 5 years and was at the top national level for both. I dedicated myself to something I was genuinely passionate about and excelled at it.

If someone volunteered for 5 different organisations, 10 different clubs, 15 different sports etc... it comes off as very insincere and scholarship offices will instantly see through it.

Quality > quantity
Thank you very much!! I agree 100%, a majority of my extracurriculars are already geared towards my interests and are very similar, so I will focus on them. I appreciate this!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Quality > quantity
This.

The whole point of extra curriculars is what you learn from the experiences which can then demonstrate positive traits/abilities or maturity in other areas (which is what the interviewer/assessor is trying to look for). You won't learn anything if you're just doing the bare minimum to tick a box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)