Favourite 'historical' movies (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
What are your favourites?

mine:
300 (well not really historical)
Elizabeth
the messenger: story of joan of arc (even though half was fictional) i enjoy the battles

add yours...

Muz4PM

HSC
-Saving Private Ryan
-I thought the mini-series Band of Brothers was an extremely entertaining and accurate portrayal of Easy Company 506th Regiment (if memory does me justice) of the 101st Airborne Division in World War Two.
-God's and Generals, a portrayal of the American Civil War from the begining until Chancellorsville, I thought was another entertaining and relitively accurate portrayal of events. It chronicled the battles of The First Bull Run, Fredricksberg and Chancellorsville. It is taken from both Union and Confederate perspectives. I suggest anyone who likes the American Civil War to watch it.

Justina

HSC
I've only seen a couple, but i love:

-Gladiator
-Kingdom of Heaven
-Troy

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
Chicky pie are you crazy
kevin 07
howard has had enough chances

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
King Arthur
Troy
Kingdom of Heaven

HSC
uhm not exactly a 'historical' movie as such but Remember the Titans is based on a true story so I'll go with that :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
-quills
-elizabeth
-tristan and isolde

that's about it. i would have said troy but i couldnt take brad pitt etc seriously in those skirts

X

xeuyrawp

From profile:

La Vita è bella (Life is Beautiful) (1997),
The Great Dictator (1940),
Der Untergang (Downfall) (2004),
Ran (1985).

Definitely have to be my favourites. I've never seen an ancient one that could be on any real sort of favourites list, unfortunately, except possibly Passion of the Christ - simply due to the effort going in to make as few historical concessions as possible. The 1963 Liz Taylor Cleopatra will always be some sort of favourite.

There was a miniseries on TV about 3 years ago about the fall of the Roman republic, which I thought was great. Can't remember the name, though. It was around a time when there were a few ones being made (one of which had a cute blonde Aussie actor); all of which were shit except the one I'm thinking of... Things like Troy and Gladiator never really do it for me.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Der Untergang (Downfall) (2004)
Is that the one that depicts the final days of Hitler and the fall of Berlin?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The 49th Parallel (1941): A total classic, beautifully shot and told. The most convincing argument against Nazi Germany i've ever seen. It tracks survivors of a destroyed U-boat crew as they murder, plunder and pillage their way through Canada on their way to neutral America. But the group steadily shrinks as they come across a variety of characters who make up the modern democracy. These characters steadily undermine whatever faith the crew had in a pretty rotten system of government.
A beautiful summary of the core values we all subscribe to in our system of government, no matter what background. Done very intelligently. Hard-hitting, very honest. Not propaganda- plain truth. I couldnt love it more.

Laurence of Arabia
Downfall
etc

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
The historical genre is sort of boring in general I'd have to say. When films try to tell history as it was, they invariably fail.

But some of my favourite "historical" films are:
Cabaret
Downfall
Apocalypse Now
Good bye Lenin!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Did anyone catch Downfall on SBS recently? The subtitles were all screwed. Some twat dumbed it all down. From my pretty basic knowledge of German, I knew they werent translating about half of what was being said, but what was being translated was simplified in a really childish way (compared to the translation I saw)
Must've been the HSC version.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yes. That's why the name rang my bell inside my head. Too many suicide acts :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
_dhj_ said:
The historical genre is sort of boring in general I'd have to say. When films try to tell history as it was, they invariably fail.

But some of my favourite "historical" films are:
Cabaret
Downfall
Apocalypse Now
Good bye Lenin!
oh goodbye lenin, is that the one about the lady who is sick or something while communism crumbles in germany and then her family tries to convince her when she recovers that everything is still the same, because they know she'd hate for things to change? they like, make fake communist groceries and tv and all of that for her? 'coz that was awesome.

...or maybe i'm thinking of something else. i dunno.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)