• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

favourite quotes? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
so, whats everyone's favourite quote about religion? heres mine:

Definition of a Religious War: 'Fighting to see who has the best imaginary friend' - the Devils Dictionary, Ambrose Bierce.

so, make with the quotes ppl!
-------------
EDIT: locked cause i can do it now.... plus its still irrelevant and spammy!
Snapperhead
-------------

Last edited by a moderator:

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
snapperhead said:
um...what has this to do with Studies of Religion?

*wishes SOR had an active mod*
plenty - it helps give a better background knowledge - just general info, different points of view. plus, its interesting to see what sort of position other people take towards religion. lighten up a bit snapperhead, no one was launching any sort of personal attack on you. if you dont approve then dont post - if ur gonna be so negative than believe me, you wont be missed.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
silvermoon said:
plenty - it helps give a better background knowledge - just general info, different points of view. plus, its interesting to see what sort of position other people take towards religion. lighten up a bit snapperhead, no one was launching any sort of personal attack on you. if you dont approve then dont post - if ur gonna be so negative than believe me, you wont be missed.
umm...didnt mention or imply that anyone was attacking me.
I was just wondering how such a spammy thread is valid in the context of the purpose of ths forum ie to help students with the HSC course "Studies of Religion"
To use your logic, such quotes dont give a better background knowledge to the course at all. If anything, it inflames negative opinions towards the subject and towards the concept of religion in general eg all of the posted quotes are irrelevant and negative.
If you want to see other peoples POV on religion, post it in the appropriate forum say like here http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=111 where a similar (sorta) thread already exists. The SOR is for Studies of Religion related content only... even if some of the posts end up a bit longwinded and pammy, there is no need to start spammy threads.
*still wishes that SOR had an active mod*

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
maybe its just me - but reading back through the thread it does seem as if your was the most negative post there snapperhead. i didnt say that you said that anyone was personally attacking you - i was referring to your tone. perhaps some comments are negative - but you'll note that theres nothing in the syllabus about the necessity for this course to brainwash all students into blind acceptance. im not saying that anyone should post anything that slags off any particular religion - that WOULD be wrong, but you'll notice that no-one has. once again, lighten up - if you dont like than dont post.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
silvermoon said:
maybe its just me - but reading back through the thread it does seem as if your was the most negative post there snapperhead. i didnt say that you said that anyone was personally attacking you - i was referring to your tone. perhaps some comments are negative - but you'll note that theres nothing in the syllabus about the necessity for this course to brainwash all students into blind acceptance. im not saying that anyone should post anything that slags off any particular religion - that WOULD be wrong, but you'll notice that no-one has. once again, lighten up - if you dont like than dont post.
You are kidding right.... mine is the most negative post? Did you read Zarathustra's post? And to be honest, I find your quote quite negative as well (and quite offensive to the overall topic of "religion")
The bit about "attacking me" was again your point not mine
lighten up a bit snapperhead, no one was launching any sort of personal attack on you.
Agreed about the point of the syllabus (w00t...you know the syllabus!) but since you are using the syllabus to justify this "thread", you will also note that the syllabus states that the idea of the course is to develop an appreciation for the nature of religion (whch this type of posting goes against!!:) )
im not saying that anyone should post anything that slags off any particular religion that WOULD be wrong, but you'll notice that no-one has.
Umm...one of the post directly "attacks" Christianity and your quote is very close to an "attack" on the nature of God
Your posts against mine imply that you believe that I am a "religious" person who has taken offense to what you are saying as it insults my religious sensibilities (Hopefully I am wrong as I dislike implications+ if you were a regular poster here, you would realise how stupid that idea is...). My objection to this thread is not so much the content but the context and to be honest, the appropriateness to this forum as it has nothing to do with the syllabus or the course. This in my opinion is classified as spamming the SOR forum. It is you who should lighten up (to use your expression).

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
if u read my first post properly, you'd have noted that that quote came from "The Devil's Dictionary" - which is, as the title quite obviously implies, a completely satirical work. I'd be very much surprised if anyone took that seriously enough to ever cause any level of offence. You are wrong - I never thought I'd offended your 'religious sensibilities': you would have replied quite differently if I had; and if I thought I had I would have apologised as that was not my intention. You know, snapperhead, this 'conversation' isn't going anywhere, so I think there's absolutely no point in eihter of us continuing here. So, as my last post here: to snapperhead - I had planned on trying to further explain my point of view, but have since realised you aren't worth it and it's a waste of my valuable time. To everyone else - hope you aren't put off by snapperhead and continue to post. lol, have fun guys! :p

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
silvermoon said:
if u read my first post properly, you'd have noted that that quote came from "The Devil's Dictionary" - which is, as the title quite obviously implies, a completely satirical work. I'd be very much surprised if anyone took that seriously enough to ever cause any level of offence. You are wrong - I never thought I'd offended your 'religios sensibilities': you would have replied quite differently if I had; and if I thought I had I would have apologised as that was not my intention. You know, snapperhead, this 'conversation' isn't going anywhere, so I think there's absolutely no point in eihter of us continuing here. So, as my last post here: to snapperhead - I had planned on trying to further explain my point of view, but have since realised you aren't worth it and it's a waste of my valuable time. To everyone else - hope you aren't put off by snapperhead and continue to post. lol, have fun guys! :p
Just as you are entitled to your opinion (which you have "spelt" out...rather typical really), I still am left wondering as to the validity (and to be honest, the purpose) of this post within the SOR forum....... which was my original point

meh...if you cant see where Im coming from, it is you that is not worth the effort.

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Honestly Snapperhead, none of the quotes above were direct personal attacks on anyone's religion. You should remember that they are indeed "quotes". Plus there is nothing "spammy" about this thread. Famous quotations and the like can add to a greater understanding of the historical interpretations of religion and also help to reveal the changing associations man has with religion. It obvious that in today's society, man's relationship with religion in general has somewhat dwindled due to the emergence of science etc.

Sigmund Freud:
"Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis"

Albert Einstein:
"Scientists were rated as great heretics by the church, but they were truly religious men because of their faith in the orderliness of the universe."

You have stated yourself, the syllabus aims for the students to develop a deeper appreciation for the nature of religion. Humour can help to establish this as well.

Richard Nixon:
"I would have made a good Pope."

Jim Carrey:
"Maybe there is no actual place called hell. Maybe hell is just having to listen to our grandparents breathe through their noses when they're eating sandwiches."

Snapperhead, if you are against such a thread then don't post. Posting on such a "spammy" thread bumps the topic back up to the top again. Pretty pointless and stupid if you are against it right?

So basically Snapperhead, you should really "lighten up." God loves you honey!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
for the sake of posting and to try and make a point....
*looks at Zarathustra's post then at the line about personal direct attacks*
mmmm...OK.
As I have stated, I have nothing against this thread other than to wonder about its relevance to the Studies of Religion course. Whilst you points may be valid in a liberal arts/philosophy course at uni, it really has nothing to do with the purpose of this forum and the purpose of it to offer syllabus based support to students who are studying 1 and 2 unit Studies of Religion . It is this irrelevance that makes it a spammy thread.
The thread starter is the one that got all uppity and thingy about my simple question. I really wonder that if it was someone else that asked this simple question if the response would be the same?
*still wonders as to the relevance of this thread to SOR*

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
OMG ALL of you people, if you are going to act like children at least play nice!

tina_goes_doo

Pharmer in Training
HSC
Zarathustra's quote was not posted by the original thread starter. Why get hostile at her?

Oh, another quote.

Fulton Sheen:
"Hearing nuns' confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn."

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
tina_goes_doo said:
Zarathustra's quote was not posted by the original thread starter. Why get hostile at her?

Oh, another quote.

Fulton Sheen:
"Hearing nuns' confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn."
1. I didnt say Zarathustra was the thread starter.
2. I didnt get get hostile at anyone, Silvermoon was the one who got stroppy at a very simple question
My original question (post #4)
Originally Posted by snapperhead

um...what has this to do with Studies of Religion?
Sivermoons reply (post #5)
Originally Posted by silvermoon
You tell me who was being hostile?

LOL at Tenille......

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Well this has to be the oddest "argument" (i don't even know if you would call it that!) and all i can say is if this is the worst thing that happens to you today, consider yourself lucky

Sharky

In between x and (x+δx)
HSC
If you will allow me...

Okay people, here is how I see that the land lies:

Snapperhead:
============
I don't mean to be unkind, and I'm sure that if I knew you in person that I would think otherwise, but it just appears to me that you are living up to your name. As a member of the faculty, I can understand your disapproval with the things that have taken place in this thread. Unfortunately, and please I'm not trying to seem superior or anything, I'm just pointing out the view I think you all should have, unfortunately I think you could have handled the situation a bit better.

Let me show you what I mean.

John 13:34 states " 'A new commandment I give unto you, that you love one another; as I have loved you' ".
If you look at this in light of 1 Corinthians 13:4-5, which reveals that "Love is patient ... it is not rude ... it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrong", it should become clear that we are required to be loving towards others, and this love should be characterised by patience, not becoming rude or angered, and not holding grudges.

So my advice to you is this. Please try to be patient with Silvermoon, do not anger over her actions, be cautious that you aren't rude, and do not hold this against her. I understand that you think there needs to be a moderator for the Studies in Religion forums that takes care of these issues, but I ask you that you accept what has happened. There has not been an outbreak in the forums. There is only 1 (to the best of my knowledge) thread that is, as you put it, a "spammy thread" and that is this one. If you are worried that this forum will break down into a spot where bored users can just spam anything, then I urge you not to be as it is confined only to this thread and thus is causing no real danger. Again I understand that you believe this should not be a part of the forums, but I think you need to just accept what has happened here and I will try to convince others to be more careful how they post.

Again, my sincerest apologies if I am sounding too instructive, but this appears to be a desparate situation in need of desparate measures.

Silvermoon:
==========
If you don't mind, I would like to share with you my favourite quote about religion. It is found in Deuteronomy 6:5 and goes something like "Love the Lord you God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength". I apologise if you (or anyone else that is reading this post for that matter) doesn't agree with my "overuse" of biblical quotes to justify myself, but as I said before, this needs desparate measures and it is the only way I believe I can accurately convery my point.

Silvermoon, I think you may have just slightly overstepped the line there a little bit. I can see where you were coming from in making your original post, and I have nothing against that, it's just that I believe you "bit off more than you can chew" (if you'll pardon the expression) when you started as you did. My suggestion is not that you should avoid posting in the Studies of Religion forums at all, but rather that you are simply a little more conscious of your posts. Make sure that if you are starting a new thread that there is no room for ambiguity. I understand that you were probably trying to be more funny than serious with your initial post and I see that you obviously don't take it too seriously yourself, but what you need to realise is that there are people out there (particularly in the Studies of Religion forum) that can and will take your statements seriously. I know that I may have the benefit of knowing you personally whereas people like Snapperhead do not, and so I could understand your tone better than he could, but nonetheless, please be thoughtful.

Once more, my apologies if you think I'm coming down hard on you Silvermoon, but I need to treat all parties fairly and give them my honest opinion as to how this should have played out.

Overall, I ask that you both just leave this as it is. Silvermoon, try to be more assertive of your posts before you post them, and Snapperhead, I'm sure that Silvermoon understands why you opposed her now and I hope that just as she drops this issue, so you too will not pursue it and let it pass. I'm not passing judgement on whether or not Silvermoon's thread is "spammy", in fact I don't want to pass judgement on anyone, but rather I am trying to point out how useless it is that both of you have carried it on this far. Please don't hold this against each other, I don't want to see this thread end like that.

I will understand if you choose to ignore everything I have said, as this is only my opinion, and believe me, it is probably the minority.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
astute use of biblical quotes....
but why do people think I am "angry" or being "hostile"?
I hold nothing against silvermoon (or anyone for that manner!!)
I only asked a very simple question. If my tone has been misconstrued as impatience etc...well, that was not my intention. One of the side effects when you combine the teenage psyche with the lack of verbal/aural ques I guess!
I guess being privy to certain forums here on BoS, I know that certain topics do not belong in certain forums and what constitutes spam in the eyes of the admins. As I said, I just asked a simple question as to the purpose and appropriateness in the context of the purpose of this forum. Not as to the appropriateness of the content with regards to its nature of religion....
Yes, i do have a habit of going on (it comes with the job) but the question had to be asked!

Thankyou though for taking the time to post here. Maybe clearer heads were required and the voice of rational thought was needed....

yes, Im carrying on now but I guess I dont like to be villified for asking a question, especially when we dont have a mod to clean up this forum (looks at some of the laguages forums and hopes that that does happen here!)

liddy

ok everyone, do u have ANY idea how utterly ridiculous this is?!?! i can see both sides of the thing, but seriously, i think everyone should have more important things to do than rip into each other pettily. this started as a fine thread, but turned into something "spammy" as soon as it turned into a war of the three year olds with high vocabulary skills. a tad of perspective maybe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)