first is the worst (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
what if you're coming first in ur school in like every subject but the year as a whole are stupid. i mean im only getting like 80's and everyone else is getting like 50's and 60's...
will it benefit me?
or am i living proof that coming first will disadvantage me (cos of my school)

pig_93

HSC
yea but im only getting 80s wont i get pulled down low low cos of the ppl in my year??

tennille

HSC
I don't think many people have a definite/complete knowledge of how the HSC marks/UAIs are calculated. Don't stress until you get your results back. ;)

pig_93

HSC
Tennille said:
I don't think many people have a definite/complete knowledge of how the HSC marks/UAIs are calculated. Don't stress until you get your results back. ;)
but yeah wont my school disadvantage me
i dont wanna bother trying OVERLY OVERLY hard if im just gonna get pulled down anyway....is it possible i can get in the 90s with everyone else getting 50s and 60s in my class?

tennille

HSC
I really don't think it would. Im coming first in my school for food tech, with an average of 97 or 98 (from what i calulated), and almost everyone else is barely passing. Clearly, it wouldn't be fair if you were disadvantaged to a significant extent. The BOS might think, "...they must have had a hard marker for a teacher to have so many poor results...".

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
last year saw the dumbest bunch of girls pass through my skool.....they were all failures however the dux (only girl in the year with a brain) got 98.6......dun worry....as long as u do well they shouldnt affect u......

pig_93

HSC
thats so resassuring
thanks guys
do u go to state schools?
what ones if u wanna tell me?

mishka

HSC
N/A
just try your best, work consistently throughout the year and you should be fine. i've relied on this philosophy and hopefully it will have paid off come the 17th!! :D ;)

tennille

HSC
I go to a westy school. W00t. Pretty good though...has about 1500 students. Highest UAI last year was 99.05.

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
i go to private catholic in west of sydney. Unfortunately im in a similar situation to that mention...although not as bad...only in a few subjects

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
When you are ranked first, you attain the highest HSC exam result as your moderated assessment mark.

In every case, that is the best thing to happen. But, the dilemma is, if the highest HSC exam mark isn't very high, then your moderated assessment mark won't be high.

If you are achieving 80's and coming first, and consistently perform similarly in the HSC exam, then you are not disadvantaged.

When you are first, you are totally immune. i.e. not matter what, the highest HSC exam mark will become your moderated assessment mark. You will NOT be affected by the other students in the class.

Plebeian

At the risk of repeating what Ragerunner said, there is absolutely no danger of you being dragged down from first by your classmates. If you're ranked first in a subject, and then you come first in your school in the HSC exam, you will receive that exam mark as both your own personal exam mark (because you scored it) and as your moderated assessment mark (because it was the highest mark in the school, and is therefore allocated to the person ranked first). This means that if you're ranked first and you get 95 in the HSC exam, and everyone else gets 50, you'll get 95 as your mark.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Well i wouldnt say absolutely no danger, if you are first and happen to screw up in a school that everyone else will get low marks then you will get a low moderated mark. Thats where the advantage of going to a selective school comes in to it, if you are first and screw up, you still will most likely get a high moderated mark as undoubtedly someone will get a high mark

theone123

blue essence
HSC
dont worry about these little things, its ended and nothing you can do about it, you should of thought about it before you started yr11, hence you should concentrate on how well you did, i believe that is the most reprimanding possible situation

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
when you're first you're in control. whatever you get as your hsc exam mark you will get as your mark. it's all been said in this thread before

the only way this disadvantages you is that if you have a bad day on your hsc day, you don't have anyone to pick up the slack. if you were first in everything with 80, the people who were 2nd were getting 78. say you have a bad day and in the exam get 50. they still get their predicted 78. you, as your asssessment mark will get 78 (but 50 as exam). where as in your school where you're getting 80s, they get 60s, if you get 50 in the exam, they get 60, then for your assessment mark you'll get 60 (but 50 as exam mark)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)