• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

First Year with absolutely no idea.... (2 Viewers)

k_1989

Blondi
HSC
Hey,

----> Alright, so Im starting at macquarie this year and I have a million questions that are either really stupid or are the ones that everybody else is too embarrassed to ask...or a combination of both....Ive looked around the forums for some definitive answers but I havent had much luck...Just a note, Im an incredibly vague blonde, so, knowing me, I was unknowingly browsing the ACU forums when looking for answers..I'd just like to know exactly whats going on with this whole university thing so I dont show up on monday looking completely clueless (ignoring the fact that well...I am...)

1) Ok, so, first week (starting 26th Feb) do we have both tutes and lectures? I know that I dont have any Law tutes till the second week but for everything else I have no idea...

2) I still havent handed in my ERA to the centre thing to get my Student ID Card...is that bad?...

3) What are these academic orientation day things? I know the education one was today but I have no clue what they are nor do I know when the law or international studies ones are on....

4) O-week, k..is it just a week where there are stalls and stuff around? or do we have to go somewhere specifically for it?

5) Ive put some lectures and tutes back to back on my timetable, is 5 minutes enough to get to my tutes? and do they like lock the doors when it starts?

6) Will I need my textbooks for the first lecture?

7) Are there i-lectures for everything? Coz I have one lecture on one day that just wont go away and Ive decided to just do that one online..Is that smart?

8) Is it just me or has ECHL111: Elements of drama been cancelled this year?....

9) Whats the deal with these expected completion date forms? what do I do with them and where do they go....that sounded suss for some reason...

---> All these questions were most probably answered during the enrolment preparation lecture thing but due to the fact that I have the attention span of a beachball, I may or may not have missed the last half hour...or hour...and now for some questions that arent remotely related to studies!....

7) Do people really care about what people wear and how you dress at uni? Like, do you look like a doosh if you come all dressed up or, conversely, dressed down?

8) Is it like high school in regards to cliques and stuff? like, do all the indie people sit in specific places?

Alright, so, Im pretty sure thats all I can think of right now, Thanks so much for your help and if these really were stupid questions, feel free to lose all faith in the integrity of the University admissions centre for letting me do law, nay, letting me in uni....

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
a) lectures yes, tutes generally no unless specified as such.

b) Not really, you just can't print and stuff until you get one. Same goes for travel concessions and student concessions in general.

c) Academic Orientation day is full of great skits, some useful information, some boring information, and a great place to meet new friends doing your degree, and meeting a mentor who is there to be a friendly point of call :) (eg I regularly bombarded my mentor with "I'm lost HELP!" and "what do I DO?" type questions) Come along it'll be fun! :) <-- law doesn't have a day as MQ doesn't offer a straight law degree, however you can probably rock up tomorrow or thursday and say you missed your education one. (naughty naughty, should have turned up!)

d) At other uni's yes, at MQ it's more like regular lectures + some stalls. We save our pomp for Conception Day.

e) Yes that's fine, even back-to-back is fine because no-one ever starts on time. And I've never seen anyone lock doors, although they will often close.

f) lectures? No. Save it for the tutes.

g) NO. There are NOT iLectures for everything. The more popular courses like the business ones and ENGL120 etc usually do, but the smaller ones won't. Additionally some courses such as accounting will even mark attendance during lectures. Very bad idea to assume you can do it online when you don't even know whether there will be an iLecture for it or not...

h) if they let you enroll in it, then it exists. But if not, then it's cancelled :)

i) I think it's more a procedure thing. I can't even remember filling one out :p

j) From http://community.boredofstudies.org...ussion/98982/idiots-guide-university-faq.html
glitterfairy said:
WHAT DO I WEAR?
Most Uni students tend to dress up casual for Uni. Making it clear now – CASUAL. Much like what you’d wear around the house when you’ve got close friends over – not what you’d wear “out” when it’s even a minorly special occasion. As most people our age live in jeans, guess what! Most Uni students live in jeans too. But it doesn’t really matter what you wear – we’re far too lazy to care. Personally, I wear jeans a lot but in the warmer months I’ll wear a skirt. I’ve seen a lot of girls in skirts, and even summer dresses – and honestly, it’s fine. You don’t have to go out and buy jeans if you’re not a jeans person – just wear what you would normally.

As for shoes, a lot of people wear thongs or sneakers. Comfort is the golden rule here as you’ll likely be doing a fair bit of walking to and from lectures/tutes (so for girls - flats are great! Boots are good in winter if they have a decent heel – ie not a stilletto). A lot of asian girls (myself excluded!) tend to wear heels as well, but… ouch? But whatever floats your boat - most people really don’t care what you wear. I really can’t stress this enough.

Actually, I'll rephrase that. People as a general rule are far more tolerant in University. If you want to dress up, fine. If you don't, fine. There aren't really any "rules", but for those who wanted to know what most people normally wear, it's outlined above. Don't stress over it that much because it's not worth it - when in doubt just wear what you'd normally wear out, ok? :)

HOW DO I DEAL WITH PEOPLE SEEING ME IN….*gasp*…THE SAME OUTFIT TWICE?
It happens. And then you get over it very, very quickly.
k) Hell no. It's University, not high school. Most MQ students won't even sit down on campus because of back-to-back classes, then going home.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
k_1989 said:
8) Is it like high school in regards to cliques and stuff? like, do all the indie people sit in specific places?
Haha thankfully we're not America, so while you'll get the odd group banding together, for the most part you'll see everyone on campus is friendly and there aren't any real cliques, except for the Christian Groups/Hillsongers.

Kegs

HSC
Man, that post is just too long to read. Read Asylums though. Short, and sweet. I like.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Picked my expected to complete form today, feels good.

K.

HSC
If you wear something twice in one week, I'll notice :santa:.

Its a little bit cliquey, to some faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar extended extent.

Now i'm too lazy to read the rest, but everyone else has already answered, I think.

Are you indie? Those people sit near the fountain and praise Franz Ferdinand outside the sam building. True.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i think i've answered 9 a few times before but just hand one in if you can be bothered. it's good to have something there so you don't have to worry later. you need something there to graduate, apparently. i have no idea whether they do stats on it or something, they want it but aren't strict on it.

as for 7(number1), email the lecturer and ask. if there are ilectures and notes then year do it online but make sure you do it!! more often than not people get lazy

7(number2 - you really are blonde :p j/k) you'll look more out of place being all dressed up. first years and known to dress up too much. just wear what you're comfy in. overall, people don't care.

8 (number 2) no. it's actually hard to form cliques because you don't see the same people all the time. i've never known one group to sit any particular place. i can't think of any noticeable groups.

not stupid questions, you just asked them all in one thread whereas people like me would have made many threads (i was a confused one back then, it's so funny to read my posts from then now). 2 weeks from today and it will all be clear, it doesn't take long.

iwannarock

HSC
AsyLum said:
Haha thankfully we're not America, so while you'll get the odd group banding together, for the most part you'll see everyone on campus is friendly and there aren't any real cliques, except for the Christian Groups/Hillsongers.
ah the hillsongers and christian groups.

those guys are funny.......they mean well and all. when ever im at the bar.............they'll be like "do you mind if we sit here"........then they'll try and chat with me for a while.

its funny.................i know what they wanna talk about............they know what they wanna talk about............but im always fascinated by the way they'll get to it.

next time i'm gonna break out a stopwatch so as soon as they say "so what are your beliefs regarding religion or god?" i can look at my stopwatch and say

"ZOMG 8mins NEW RECORD!"

iwannarock

HSC
k_1989 said:
7) Do people really care about what people wear and how you dress at uni? Like, do you look like a doosh if you come all dressed up or, conversely, dressed down?
nobody cares.

i wear pretty much the same thing everywhere. jeans....band t shirt.

this year im gonna wear basically the same outfit every day. i'll buy the same of every shirt. my white hell city glamour shirts. i'll be like bart simpson.

and my $8 vests from st vinnies that an old man probably died in.

oh yeah and my casual clothes and my "going out" clothes are one in the same. probably because i dont go to clubs with strict dress codes or anything.

Last edited:

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I'm gonna wear a fedora... nothing else, just a fedora. Why? Because fedoras are cool.

No, seriously, if you see a guy in a fedora, it's me.

Last edited:

iwannarock

HSC
Luke! said:
I'm gonna wear a fedora... nothing else, just a fedora. Why? Because fedoras are cool.

No, seriously, if you see a guy in a fedora, it's me.
hahhaha good plan.

i'll be the vest version of you.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I just heard JayJays is selling $20 Nintendo old school shirts, I'm so down for wearing mario and DK and Mario kart aye!

X

xeuyrawp

As soon as people notice that I wear the same thing every day of every week of every month of my life, I stab them in the eye with a pencil, and then move countries. I miss Zimbabwe... :'(

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
AsyLum said:
I just heard JayJays is selling $20 Nintendo old school shirts, I'm so down for wearing mario and DK and Mario kart aye!
Oh man, why Mario and shit? That's cool if you owned a SNES, but what about us Sega Megadrive kids?

What I wouldn't give for a Sonic the Hedgehog shirt!

Sonic was so badass, Mario had nothing on him. If Mario was giving Sonic the Hedgehog shit, Sonic would be all like "Oi you, shut the fuck up fat man!", and then like death-spin him out of existence.

True story.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I was converted to Nintendo during the years of the 64. Nevertheless, I used to be a sega fanboy. Dunno about Mario or Sonic, but If I ever saw a t-shirt of Snatcher (a very groovy Mega-CD game) i would buy it.

CieL

HSC
k_1989 said:
5) Ive put some lectures and tutes back to back on my timetable, is 5 minutes enough to get to my tutes? and do they like lock the doors when it starts?

6) Will I need my textbooks for the first lecture?

7) Are there i-lectures for everything? Coz I have one lecture on one day that just wont go away and Ive decided to just do that one online..Is that smart?
5. Depends on where your classes are.. they should have the building n class listed on the timetable.. look it up on the map n see how far u gotta run.. lectures n tutes usually start 5mins past and end 5mins to.. so you get 10mins..
And no, they dont lock the doors.. uni is pretty laid back, and you get several ditzy ppl who dont know the time for anything.. you might get warned tho, and make sure you get marked off for your tutes if you're late..

6. I've never brought a textbook into a lecture nor tutorial.. alot of conscientious students do.. I just bring either the lecture notes, or the tutorial notes if they're provided.. then a pen n notepad..

7. No, there arent iLectures for everything. So far, only my psychology based units have had iLectures.. I never went to my lectures, nor used iLecture, because all the lecture notes are on webct.. *shrugs* but you might miss out on important stuff the lecturer might say.. eg. "hint, this will be in your exam".. there was some insane lecturer which brought a bell.. and everytime something important came up, she hit the bell.. as a hint it's going to be in the exam..

HSC
N/A
going back to original topic - dressing up a little (like, the "I'm going shopping" look) is ok. Dressing up like "omg I'm going to an EVENT!!!" and piling on the makeup is both stupid and overly try-hardy, esp if you're only doing it for uni.

One of my mentors was wearing heels today. I resisted the urge to laugh... she was as tall as I was! Our stride length is like, zero! Way to cover as little ground in as much time as possible! lol

CieL

HSC
lol I rocked up to uni in my PJs twice..

Just to hand in an assignment in the morning.. after pulling an all-nighter to finish it..

HSC
N/A
!!!!! I've seriously contemplated doing that... those five minutes it takes to change from PJ's to normal clothes could so be used doing a last-minute check and edit of an essay instead. But alas, my vanity and chicken-heartedness usually wins out.

I bow down to your awesomeness.

CieL

HSC
I dont even recommend it.. people stare at you like you're nuts..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)