Food Tech Assessment - HELP PLEASE? (1 Viewer)

Brookie7

HSC
hey fellow food tech-ers,
im doing an assessment on the production of mini quiche... anyone done anything similar in the past.. it would be greatly appreciated?

tennille

HSC
Is that product development, or just the procedure on how to do it? Either way, I'd suggest to draw that flow diagram (you know the one with the squares, circles, etc), and write the description of what's occurring on the right hand side of each shape.

Maybe look up recipe books on mini quiches. Just copy that (maybe try and put it in your own words) ;)

Brookie7

HSC
yes, the first question is a flow chart and then you have to describe and compare different techniques and equipments used in domestic situations and industrial situations

tennille

HSC
What exactly do you need help with? It just makes it easier to help you then.

OutOfOrder

HSC
well the assignment is on food manufactur: ham and cheese mini quiche.

we have to talk about:

*quality control measures (in a production line)
*processing techniques and equipment (for domestic production and industrial production)
*possible causes of spoilage (and how to prevent them)
*storage (and packaging)
*impact on the
1)environment
2)society
3)individual

and well id appreciate help on any of those, because i know next to nothing about quiche..
any ideas on how i can find the answers to those things? like, should i look at recipe books etc..
any help at all would be appreciated!

thx in advance

marcus

tennille

HSC
For quality control, you need to mention HACCP. Assessment of hazards --> identification of critical control points (points where a hazard may occur) --> setting standards for each control point --> monitoring critical control points --> description of procedures if standards are not met --> keeping accurate records of variations from the standards --> assessment of system. Wrte down your standards (like, the quiches have to be .... in size, and if this is not met, the production line must be readjusted).

For the production techniques, take a look at a recipe book or the internet (I'm not sure how they're made). They probably only show domestic production. If you can't find any information on the inductrial production line, then just guess it. If they use an oven in the domestic one, then they;d probably use a commercial size oven that already has been adjusted for an optimum quiche product.

When mentioning the package, explain the functions of a package. Choose a packaging that will have a positive impact on the environment (like cardboard or biodegradable plastic, etc). Maybe even create a sample of a pacage (you can buy quiches from the supermarket...you can then take a look at the nutritional information and create a similar one for yours).

For storage, it'll probably be placed in the freezer, and heated in the oven when desired. Therefore, freezer storage will be used (where the temp. is around -15 to -30 degrees celcius).

The impact of the mini quiches on the individual would be that of convenience. They are mini, and can be eaten basically anywhere, meaning convenience, which is currently in high demand. I guess that would be the same for impact on society, but just on a larger scale. Impact on the environment- you can mention the packaging (ho its recyclable) and the actual product.

Possible causes of spoilage- mould for the cheese. Prevented by placing it in cold storage (0-5 degrees celcius). Physical spoilage- getting crushed (the actual product), etc.

Hope that helps.

OutOfOrder

HSC
hey Tennille
thanks for that :) it helped alot!
but yeah theres still some things im having difficulty answering..

What kind of impact would mini quiche have on society? because all i can think of is convenience and thats pretty much the same answer i have for the impact on the individual.
But then the next question says 'suggest changes to reduce the impact on the above', and i most of the impacts i put down were positive.. so that means i have to come up with negative impacts.. any ideas?

and for the quality control measures i put HACCP and the quality control of raw materials (is that right??)

if you cant help me anymore thats fine, but thank you for ur input before!

marcus

tennille

HSC
For the quality control, that's pretty much right. Checking raw materials to see if they meet standards, etc.

Are quiches unhealthy in any way? Are they fatty or anything? If they are, then a negative impact may be that because it's convenient, the society might rely on them to keep them "satisfied", and if they do, it may affect their health. A change to reduce the impact could be using low fat cheese, etc...anything low in fat or that may improve their health.

Sar_28

HSC
i just did that exact same assignment and got it back today.i found it really useful to look in heaps of different textbooks and get info that way

thanks hamo

HSC
Tennille said:
For the quality control, that's pretty much right. Checking raw materials to see if they meet standards, etc.

Are quiches unhealthy in any way? Are they fatty or anything? If they are, then a negative impact may be that because it's convenient, the society might rely on them to keep them "satisfied", and if they do, it may affect their health. A change to reduce the impact could be using low fat cheese, etc...anything low in fat or that may improve their health.

You so have it covered!
Nice work Tennille :D

pommy

HSC
hey everone just a quick question... how many pages was your assignments and was that enough or is there a requirement like 10 pages or what eva

thanks hamo

HSC
pommy said:
hey everone just a quick question... how many pages was your assignments and was that enough or is there a requirement like 10 pages or what eva

my food tech assessments were always huge- 10+ pages, but thats not a requirement- just make sure you've covered everything and you'll be sweet :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)