Frankenstein technique help plz (1 Viewer)

xxshazz

HSC
Victor: 'Unhappy man! do you share my madness! have you drunk also of the intoxicating draught? Hear me - let me reveal my tale and you will dash the cup from your lips!'

what technique is this? is it a metaphor? :|

AmieLea

HSC
the "intoxicating draught" is a metaphor for ambition. (NOTE theme!!!! and a charactors value!!! but not shelleys... coz she's saying it's BAD... confusing huh?)

Victor makes a link between himself and walton by saying that they have both "drunk" from it.

AmieLea

HSC
oh, and by "dash(ing) the cup from (waltons) lips!", victor wants to rob walton of his ambition.

hope i've helped :)

xxshazz

HSC
thank you so much! :)

gold metaphorical stars for both of you :D

Paige23

HSC
What AmieLee said was right, however, the way I see it, Victor does not want to "rob" Walton of his ambition, rather make himself (Victor) an example of, as Victor shows how careless ambition (doing it 'because you can' or because no one else has done it before) can destroy the creator.

Walton is sort of the same sort of personality as Victor, unwaveringly ambitious, and the position Walton met Victor (the expedition was getting dangerous (getting stuck in ice and he was wondering if he should keep on going, or return home)), Victor was able to tell/warn Walton that ambitousness can destory, which is the overall message Shelley leaves with us

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
intoxicating draguht could be a metaphor for hubris or humanity's cruelness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)