Gendered language - 12th night (1 Viewer)

miranda

HSC
hi all,

i am severely in need of help with gendered language in 12th night. obviously there's the cross dressing but i need MOREEEE!!! HELP MEEEE!!!

thanks!

miz

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Hey this forum doesn't get used very much at all any more.

I did Gendered Language Last year for my Ext 1 english and we also did The 12th Night for our text. I did post my notes up on here before - well at least i did submit them to be posted. I dont think they ever found there way up here. checking now... no they aren't there.

Okay - with the 12th night you dont need to look at the behaviour of the characters. So cross dressing doesn't come into it at all. Because u have to remember you are studying language not behavoiour patterns.

I'm assuming that you have already studied tannen and have a feel for her theories and ideas? You should be thinking of stuff like conlifct, status, support, femspeak, blokespeak, sharing, all that kind of stuff.

What you have to do now is draw these ideas out of shakespeare. So there are a couple of examples that i can remember that you should have a look at. The first speech by Orsino - where he talks of love - very unmasucline according to Tannen - there are several circumstances of this - also remember he is talking in front of other men too.

You could look at the langauge of Violoia and how it is very feminine - also you could talk about the fact that the clown (i can't think of his name...) picks up on the fact that she is in fact a women.

One i particularly liked that fitted in perfectly with Tannen was sebastian getting into the fight with ummm gee names escaped me. The suitor for Olivia's hand... He has never met the man - and get ready to get into verbal conflict with him. This is very very very masculine accouding to Tannen who states men are more ready to get into fights. However when the suitor challenges Violia she backs off and says no.

thats all i can think off for now.
Hope it helps i'll post some more examples later

whitneyfaith

woop whoop whoop
HSC
Thank you! currently studying for half yearlys, where I've been told to refer to 12th night, even though we haven't even opened the book in class. AND (just to give perspective on why I hate my teacher so much) I've finished the first chapter of Tannen, as he (teacher) only ordered them 4 weeks ago, and only ordered 2, when he needed 4. So I'm armed with a photocopied first chapter and barely a study of any set text so far. :( I'm screwed

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Hey dont worry too much about that - Tannen isn't to hard to get - there is actually a simple way to go through that texts if u need to do it in a rush (which probably means u still have to go though it and have to have a good read though it later unfortinatly)

Basically the chapter titles r the ideas that Tannen looks at - and then in the first section after the headings there is a good quote about what she is talkign about. And u should have read the intro casue there are some good definitions there also.

Dont worry about knowing all her little phrases etc, they are basically padding for her book - just draw out the concepts and get a quote that outlines what the concept is - thats basiclaly all u need to get out of Tannen. Your supplimentary material should make up your examples and you should get some other sociolinguists quotes to back up/argue with what tannen says

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)