General magnetic field question (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Why do static charges not experience a force by magnetic fields? I thought that spin produced a magnetic field for every charge, but the textbook that I am using for questions states that static charges don't experience a force from a magnetic field. Is there some information I am lacking?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Why do static charges not experience a force by magnetic fields? I thought that spin produced a magnetic field for every charge, but the textbook that I am using for questions states that static charges don't experience a force from a magnetic field. Is there some information I am lacking?
Static means not moving. If a charge has spin it means that it is moving.

So yes a static charge will not experience a force because it is completely stationary which means it has zero angular momentum.

HSC
N/A
Static means not moving. If a charge has spin it means that it is moving.

So yes a static charge will not experience a force because it is completely stationary which means it has zero angular momentum.
I was under the impression that spin was a property of the charge? As in it is a fundamental part of a particle, meaning that regardless of movement or not, a particle will always have spin and thus always have a magnetic field. That is my impression of it at least.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I was under the impression that spin was a property of the charge? As in it is a fundamental part of a particle, meaning that regardless of movement or not, a particle will always have spin and thus always have a magnetic field. That is my impression of it at least.
Yes however angular momentum isn’t really taught in the HSC at least in the old syllabus so spin isn’t really looked at. By saying a stationary charge spin is kind of ignored because it requires higher levels of Maths to understand. HSC physics is watered down a lot...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)