• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General Q's: Commerce/Science, Chemistry major (1 Viewer)

PhilosopherKing

HSC
Hi guys,

I was just hoping for some general discussion/info on my current preference of Commerce/Science next year. My favourite courses during this year have been Chemistry, Economics + Business Studies and I have done very well in all of them.

I am definitely planning on studying chemistry as my major, I was just unsure as to how useful a commerce degree will be in broadening my career prospects (not sure at all where I would like to work). My favourite chemistry topics were applied chemistry, so Industrial and Environmental Monitoring. I think working for a large industrial company would be great (at least for a few years).

I really enjoyed the economics course as well, particularly microeconomics. I'm interested in "firm level" operations and thinking, particularly in the chemical industry (costing, productivity etc) along with environmental economics, so ETS, cost-benefits of pollution. Note though, I really have no interest at all in economic history, macroeconomics, government policy etc. I study the level required to get me through the HSC, but I just have no real interest in fiscal/monetary policy etc in order to do it at a tertiary level (except maybe an intro course for commerce)

I'm quite strong at maths also (only 2U though) & enjoy learning mathematical models in economics (I realise I have only ever seen basic stuff so far). Should I do commerce and major in economics or would my lack of interest in other areas be a problem? Would a finance (the stock market, investing, budgeting also interests me) or even a managerial accounting focus be more appropriate? I was looking on the CIMA website, looks like an interesting qualification that chemist could dually hold?

-Perhaps a minor in economics (if doable) with a micro focus aiding finance/accounting would be more suitable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

* How hard is chemistry to get into in terms of employment etc? Is there much demand, even with honours?

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Good post, I'll be interested in the answer, given I had similar questions in relation to science (geology) & commerce.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I was told that doing Chem(might have been chemical engineering) + Commerce you can pretty much ask your own salary 3 years ago by someone from bhp.

I'd believe that the chemistry side of your intended double degree would be more than the economics side however it is quite a plausible double degree. If you want to do management work though a MBA would be more appropriate (probably with a single economics degree.)

PhilosopherKing

HSC
I was told that doing Chem(might have been chemical engineering) + Commerce you can pretty much ask your own salary 3 years ago by someone from bhp.

I'd believe that the chemistry side of your intended double degree would be more than the economics side however it is quite a plausible double degree. If you want to do management work though a MBA would be more appropriate (probably with a single economics degree.)
Cheers man, only reply wow

Yeah I think Chem would be one or two more subjects, but the final year would be almost all chem leading to honours. I'd be doing the economics as side knowledge/a break.

Wow that sounds good, I had no idea that Chemists were paid that well, I know the engineers get it all, but I don't want to do engineering/nor am I moving away from home to.

I guess that position would probably be upon moving into management with someone like BHP- this is very common I believe for people from technical backgrounds who understand the science behind the business but who also understand business in general.

Are there any chem students on here, not to mention doing commerce?

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Are there any chem students on here, not to mention doing commerce?
Might want to look on the Science board or there are some similar threads on Education - Whirlpool Forums

Another point I will add is that you a B.Comm/B.Sc(Chem) will only get you so far - I hope you understand there are invisible salary caps within jobs. For example you will get to a stage with your Bachelors where you need a post graduate degree to move higher up into management and etc.

This is where you should consider either a MBA or a PhD HOWEVER getting a job as a science PhD is quite competitive though you will move up into a presidency role quite quick which gets you on the executive board and thus executive pay.

When you look at the fact you will need a MBA to move up regardless of your bachelor's degrees (unless you do a PhD/M.Sc) I think you should just focus on chem.

asdfghjkl12345

HSC
I am currently doing a Commerce/Science degree at Sydney Uni.

The job prospects for this combination are very good.

Although I am not doing the chemistry as a major (instead I am doing a double major in Geography and Geology), the combination of the different ways of thinking is favoured by employers.

I know that graduates of geology/commerce can start on salaries around the 100k mark.

So I would assume chemistry would be similar, as both are careers where there is a skills shortage.

Good luck with your results, and with choosing your degree!

Just do what you enjoy, and can see yourself doing in 20 years time, and it will work out.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hmm asdfghjkl12345, who are you? I just finished that major (geology) this year at usyd.

Anything mining will start close to 85k+ up to about $120k but you will need to make sacrifices for it (i.e. residential in a small town (where I am now), or FIFO with long shifts (what I did before)).

Chemistry is different to geology. Very few grad jobs in chemistry which are related to mining (where the money is). But not saying there aren't any, because there are a few floating around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)