General questions about uni (1 Viewer)

zizi2003_

HSC
so i have a few questions about what these things mean lol (PS, just finished HSC, so have no clue about uni stuff)

1. what is a 'census date' and what is a 'provider'? (in regards to HECS-help for Maq) and how do I find out the census date for enrolling

2. what are 'units' for a certain course? what do these indicate

3. say if I want to do psychology (hons). Do I need to select subjects (majors/minors?)? Or do some courses not have minors etc.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
I can answer number 2 for you perhaps someone will answer the others, even idk wtf census date is lol I just know I have to enrol in my semester units before this * important * date or else I'm screwed. there's a census date during every semester/trimester I believe

so q 2. at usyd, each subject is called "a unit of study" so I would use subject and unit interchangeably. for instance BIOL1007 (molecules to ecosystems) is a first year unit worth 6 credit points, MATH1002 (linear algebra) is a first year unit worth 3 credit points, each unit is gonna have a code like that and each is gonna be worth a certain number of c.p. every degree is gonna require you do to different units (e.g. core units, electives) so you should check the handbook for that, in your case have a look at the psych handbook it'll outline the subjects/units you'd need to complete every year

^^ for instance psych at unsw handbook, look under "program structure" it divides the degree up into years and outlines which units you have to do in each. I linked the 2021 version so just look at the 2022

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
To answer your first question, the census date is usually the date by which all enrolments and financial arrangements must be finalised. It may also be the date that before which, if you drop any units, you will not have to pay for tuition, but after which, you will still need to pay for tuition if you drop one or more units. This is consistent with how Macquarie University defines it:

"The census date for a unit is the last date that you can withdraw from a unit without incurring any academic penalty or financial liability for that unit."

You can view census dates of your enrolled units in eStudent.

Census dates for a university such as WSU are approximately one month after the start of the semester. This may be similar for MQ. For example:
  • The Autumn semester at WSU commenced on 1 March 2021. Census was on 31 March 2021.
  • The Spring semester at WSU commenced on 19 July 2021. Census was on 31 August 2021.
A provider is an educational institution that offers Commonwealth assistance. The following link provides a comprehensive list of institutions that offer offer CSPs and/or HELP loans across Australia (which includes MQ):

I hope this helps! 😄

zizi2003_

HSC
I can answer number 2 for you perhaps someone will answer the others, even idk wtf census date is lol I just know I have to enrol in my semester units before this * important * date or else I'm screwed. there's a census date during every semester/trimester I believe

so q 2. at usyd, each subject is called "a unit of study" so I would use subject and unit interchangeably. for instance BIOL1007 (molecules to ecosystems) is a first year unit worth 6 credit points, MATH1002 (linear algebra) is a first year unit worth 3 credit points, each unit is gonna have a code like that and each is gonna be worth a certain number of c.p. every degree is gonna require you do to different units (e.g. core units, electives) so you should check the handbook for that, in your case have a look at the psych handbook it'll outline the subjects/units you'd need to complete every year

^^ for instance psych at unsw handbook, look under "program structure" it divides the degree up into years and outlines which units you have to do in each. I linked the 2021 version so just look at the 2022
To answer your first question, the census date is usually the date by which all enrolments and financial arrangements must be finalised. It may also be the date that before which, if you drop any units, you will not have to pay for tuition, but after which, you will still need to pay for tuition if you drop one or more units. This is consistent with how Macquarie University defines it:

"The census date for a unit is the last date that you can withdraw from a unit without incurring any academic penalty or financial liability for that unit."

You can view census dates of your enrolled units in eStudent.

Census dates for a university such as WSU are approximately one month after the start of the semester. This may be similar for MQ. For example:
  • The Autumn semester at WSU commenced on 1 March 2021. Census was on 31 March 2021.
  • The Spring semester at WSU commenced on 19 July 2021. Census was on 31 August 2021.
A provider is an educational institution that offers Commonwealth assistance. The following link provides a comprehensive list of institutions that offer offer CSPs and/or HELP loans across Australia (which includes MQ):

I hope this helps! 😄
THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!
this is very helpful !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)