General Thoughts: Chemistry (1 Viewer)

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A
Re: Chem How HARD!!

Well I talked about neutron bombardment and I accidently used U-239 or 238 or something and said it then did beta decay to form the next element up (periodic table didn't have mass values for them damn it ...)
dude.. What?!

Username2

HSC
N/A

When an element is bombarded by a neutron, it will decay to a proton releasing beta radiation. As it has a new proton it therefore forms a new element that is next up on the periodic table (Or at least that's what i thought..)
He's got the gist of it. But for the record my equation was something like
u-238 + neutron --> Np-239 + beta thus forming a transuranic element?

Last edited:

Awkward_Ninja

HSC

I'm getting worried now, i don't even remember a transuranic element question with uranium or neptunium in it.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC

Did we need to use an equation. I merely said that atomic number of 93,94,95 were produced using a reactor and that atomic number greater the 95 were produced using a particle accelerator and this is through the process of nucleii bombardment as the particle accelerator accelerates the positive nucleii to speeds close to c

BadMeetsEvil

HSC
N/A

When an element is bombarded by a neutron, it will decay to a proton releasing beta radiation. As it has a new proton it therefore forms a new element that is next up on the periodic table (Or at least that's what i thought..)
oh right beta.... Was thinking of alpha decay where helium is released. My bad my bad!!!

utanobeiiby

HSC
(I) is not specified, but (II) is, that is why. The lowesr valence state is the one which is not specified generally.
ok If you haven't notice copper don't tend to form Cu+ in solution only cu2+ if you are not convinced then google copper nitrate ... the one that pops up would be copper (ii) nitrate ... and copper 2 nitrate is the one that is blue... copper (i) nitrate would most likely be red if it exists.... so yeah i think it would be cu2+ cause its the common valency of copper and i wrote largely on the paper assume cu(no3)2 .... BUT eventhough its clear they meant cu2+ THEY SHOULD HAVE CLEARLY STATE WHICH OXIDATION STATE OF COPPER THEY MEANT!

talia_n

HSC
can anyone upload a copy of the multiple choice and the option if they brought it out of the exam please?

Carl5

HSC
What was the justification to using that other theory of acids other than Lowry Bronsted?

Memi

HSC
N/A
When I walked out of the exam, I felt okay...now I feel defeated haha (NOTE TO SELF: Stop going on BOS)

lachlanmitchell

HSC
Hey did anyone find the first question in Industrial Chem kinda irrelevent...?
There was nothing about soap either =(
3 marks a drain for getting all part (a) wrong... I hope industrial scales up im only expecting a 17/25 max for the option
The rest was ok... though I rekon there were an excess of calculations
Im pretty sure part a was a dehydration with concentrated sulfuric acid dehydrating the copper crystals causing the color change. I completely agree with the two many calculation, also allot on titration's which sucked.

K

khorne

ok If you haven't notice copper don't tend to form Cu+ in solution only cu2+ if you are not convinced then google copper nitrate ... the one that pops up would be copper (ii) nitrate ... and copper 2 nitrate is the one that is blue... copper (i) nitrate would most likely be red if it exists.... so yeah i think it would be cu2+ cause its the common valency of copper and i wrote largely on the paper assume cu(no3)2 .... BUT eventhough its clear they meant cu2+ THEY SHOULD HAVE CLEARLY STATE WHICH OXIDATION STATE OF COPPER THEY MEANT!
They have to accept both answers, but in a similar question the board of studies used a few years ago, they specified exactly. So this leads me to believe they were going to Copper Nitrate (I). Copper nitrate can also exist as CuNO3, it's not common, but possible. Additionally, Cu+ is on the standard table.

http://arc.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/standards-packs/SP01_15050/files/samples/q16-18/exam_q16-18.pdf

Q18

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)