General Thoughts: Studies of Religion I (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your thoughts here.

photastic

HSC
Recycled questions.

Ethics was the essay question so they prob wanted to restrict quantity of essays

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Multiple choice was straightforward as expected.
I had to BS my way through the 5 marker, I didn't exactly know whether a line of argument was inappropriate for it. A lot of detail + scope was demanded from 5 markers internally, so I argued that the stimulus, while one valid aspect of the religious landscape, isn't true for the entirety of it (I didn't evaluate, I just pointed it out, then proceeded to BS about changing denominations, immigration, and the emergence of New Age religions to make a point about the diversifying religious landscape). Of course my starting focus was secularism and I linked etc. Can someone tell me if this is valid?
Section II was basically a rehash of the CSSA. My 3 marker was longer than my 4 marker, I got carried away with the Hajj. Is 8 marks really necessary for Sayid Qutb? Ugh.
Section III, once again similar to the CSSA, except the verb was more of an analyse as opposed to evaluating ethics contributing to Christianity as a living tradition. I basically remembered everything I wrote in the trials, and then transposed it to the question. When I read over it, my introduction was one sentence long and the content was pretty a bit haywire albeit being structured chronologically, but I believe my links to the question were strong.

baci

HSC
1. B
2. D
3. B
4. A
5. C
6. B
7. A
8. B
9. A
10. A

baci

HSC
10 is A
From my notes:
The Roman Catholic Church (previously it was the Anglican Church) now holds the greatest proportion of Christian adherents, and in 2011 held 25.3%. The Australian Catholic community has changed considerably from its Anglo-Celtic origins. From its pre–Second World War percentage of 17.5% of the Australian population, the post-war Catholic community rose to 20.7 percent, with Europe contributing many nationalities under the Catholic banner, such as Croatians, Germans, Italians and Spaniards. Over 30 ethnic groups constitute the Catholic Church in Australia.

Narbs96

HSC
Multiple choice was straightforward as expected.
I had to BS my way through the 5 marker, I didn't exactly know whether a line of argument was inappropriate for it. A lot of detail + scope was demanded from 5 markers internally, so I argued that the stimulus, while one valid aspect of the religious landscape, isn't true for the entirety of it (I didn't evaluate, I just pointed it out, then proceeded to BS about changing denominations, immigration, and the emergence of New Age religions to make a point about the diversifying religious landscape). Of course my starting focus was secularism and I linked etc. Can someone tell me if this is valid?
Section II was basically a rehash of the CSSA. My 3 marker was longer than my 4 marker, I got carried away with the Hajj. Is 8 marks really necessary for Sayid Qutb? Ugh.
Section III, once again similar to the CSSA, except the verb was more of an analyse as opposed to evaluating ethics contributing to Christianity as a living tradition. I basically remembered everything I wrote in the trials, and then transposed it to the question. When I read over it, my introduction was one sentence long and the content was pretty a bit haywire albeit being structured chronologically, but I believe my links to the question were strong.
I did the exact same for the 5 marker. I think the BOS will be strict on marking it however because I know a lot of people from my school only referred to the quote when talking about secularism rather than integrating it through and "refuting" it for the other areas.

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
I did the exact same for the 5 marker. I think the BOS will be strict on marking it however because I know a lot of people from my school only referred to the quote when talking about secularism rather than integrating it through and "refuting" it for the other areas.
O thank God. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of discriminator, but 5 marks really doesn't warrant a line of argument like that. I'm glad that someone else refuted it, so to speak.

What were your reasons for secularism, though?

10 is A
From my notes:
The Roman Catholic Church (previously it was the Anglican Church) now holds the greatest proportion of Christian adherents, and in 2011 held 25.3%. The Australian Catholic community has changed considerably from its Anglo-Celtic origins. From its pre–Second World War percentage of 17.5% of the Australian population, the post-war Catholic community rose to 20.7 percent, with Europe contributing many nationalities under the Catholic banner, such as Croatians, Germans, Italians and Spaniards. Over 30 ethnic groups constitute the Catholic Church in Australia.
For some reason I don't even remember this as an option. I probably got it wrong then.

scrixer

HSC
N/A
Erique,

Your interpretation of how to address Q11 seems correct. The question was to "account for the current religious landscape", not account for the topic of the quotation. It would be important to have referred to other areas, such as immigration, Christianity as the major, denominational switching, etc. You only had to make sure you referred to secularism!

I'm sorry to hear that you had Sayid Qutb (not an exciting significant person). They key to high marks is whether you "discussed" - points for and against. Good marks if you can discuss how he supported fundamentalism which isn't every Muslim's idea of submission.

You will get high marks in Section 3 if you explained (analyse is fine) but kept linking to the idea of doing good. What is good? Go back to the principal ethical teachings of Christianity, and refer to sacred text as necessary with you topics.

All the best for attaining your ATAR aim.

Last edited:

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Erique,

Your interpretation of how to address Q11 seems correct. The question was to "account for the current religious landscape", not account for the topic of the quotation. It would be important to have referred to other areas, such as immigration, Christianity as the major, denominational switching, etc. You only had to make sure you referred to secularism!

I'm sorry to hear that you had Sayid Qutb (not an exciting significant person). They key to high marks is whether you "discussed" - points for and against. Good marks if you can discuss how he supported fundamentalism which isn't every Muslim's idea of submission.

You will get high marks in Section 3 if you explained (analyse is fine) but kept linking to the idea of doing good. What is good? Go back to the principal ethical teachings of Christianity, and refer to sacred text as necessary with you topics.

All the best for attaining your ATAR aim.
Thank you for your response. All seems to be well, just need to cross reference my MC with your suggested answers, but I've forgotten what the questions are.

Narbs96

HSC
O thank God. I wouldn't be surprised if it was some sort of discriminator, but 5 marks really doesn't warrant a line of argument like that. I'm glad that someone else refuted it, so to speak.

What exactly do you mean?
For example, I started by talking about secularism and decreasing influence of God in Australia and then when talking about denomination switching spoke about how although some people in Australia do not see the importance of God, those Christian adherents who switch denominations still see the importance of God, thus the quote is not relevant when accounting for the other areas of Australia's religious landscape etc. <That's a poor example and I obviously worded a lot better in the exam. My brain has turned to mush after today! Hopefully we both go well. What mark are you hoping for in SOR?

Erique

Writ in water
HSC

What exactly do you mean?
For example, I started by talking about secularism and decreasing influence of God in Australia and then when talking about denomination switching spoke about how although some people in Australia do not see the importance of God, those Christian adherents who switch denominations still see the importance of God, thus the quote is not relevant when accounting for the other areas of Australia's religious landscape etc. <That's a poor example and I obviously worded a lot better in the exam. My brain has turned to mush after today! Hopefully we both go well. What mark are you hoping for in SOR?
That's exactly what I meant. That sounds completely valid, and yes, I do hope we score well for it! Can't bring myself to study for English - for some reason the exam was really tiring.

As for marks... Hm... Perhaps 47/48 raw? I'd be set with that. It's my "11th unit" so I never really focused very much on this subject. MC and 5 markers have always tripped me up for some reason. I'm rather confident for the other short answers and the essay, because I consider myself most proficient in the Islam practice and Christian bioethics, so those questions were perfect. Then again, I will probably end up with 44 because it's how you perform on the day. :uhoh:

How about you? I'm envisioning a higher raw for you haha

ilostmypassword

HSC
This was actually pretty easy, although i was aiming for state rank but i was to busy focusing on chemistry :( Far out man, them feels.

Narbs96

HSC
That's exactly what I meant. That sounds completely valid, and yes, I do hope we score well for it! Can't bring myself to study for English - for some reason the exam was really tiring.

As for marks... Hm... Perhaps 47/48 raw? I'd be set with that. It's my "11th unit" so I never really focused very much on this subject. MC and 5 markers have always tripped me up for some reason. I'm rather confident for the other short answers and the essay, because I consider myself most proficient in the Islam practice and Christian bioethics, so those questions were perfect. Then again, I will probably end up with 44 because it's how you perform on the day. :uhoh:

How about you? I'm envisioning a higher raw for you haha
It sounds like we are the same for SOR because the 5 mark question and MC always get me too. I absolutely loved the 15 mark section as well as the essay. For the essay I used HEAPS of Islamic terminology so fingers crossed. As for a raw mark I really do not know. In the trial I got 46/50 so I would be ecstatic with that. I just really really want a band 6! Do you have any idea what the band 6 cut off might be this year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)