General Thoughts: Visual Arts (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Share your thoughts here.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
What was the level of difficulty for you guys?

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
The plates were fun but I screwed up the first question. Totally had to BS about diversity of nature, volcanic eruptions, two/three dimensional artist intentions for the audience, vibrancy of fire/nature, beautiful/destructive dichotomy of nature shown through contrast, meticulous balance, but I don't know if I really hit practice on the head besides linking because it's such a broad term.

Question 2 was similar to the trials - that was frame. I went for change of medium, changing purpose and symbolism of the still life according to context all that BS basically answering the question.

Question 3 cool.

I did question 6 on social commentary as I'm sure hundreds of others did. Used Goya, kiefer, xu bing - some nice variety.

Overall, questions were nice and easy but I think my knowledge was too limited to even think straight. I can't write on the spot as well as I used at the beginning of the HSC - how am I going to sit extension history tomorrow? FML

dirty_ink

HSC
The plates were fun but I screwed up the first question. Totally had to BS about diversity of nature, volcanic eruptions, two/three dimensional artist intentions for the audience, vibrancy of fire/nature, beautiful/destructive dichotomy of nature shown through contrast, meticulous balance, but I don't know if I really hit practice on the head besides linking because it's such a broad term.

Question 2 was similar to the trials - that was frame. I went for change of medium, changing purpose and symbolism of the still life according to context all that BS basically answering the question.

Question 3 cool.

I did question 6 on social commentary as I'm sure hundreds of others did. Used Goya, kiefer, xu bing - some nice variety.

Overall, questions were nice and easy but I think my knowledge was too limited to even think straight. I can't write on the spot as well as I used at the beginning of the HSC - how am I going to sit extension history tomorrow? FML
The first question was quite hit or miss. I wasn't sure how in depth they wanted us to address the question. I also think a lot of people chose Q6. I did, and so did most of my class. Also, best of luck for tomorrow - you'll get through it.

Section One was pretty decent. I especially liked question two. Lots of fruit.

Section Two was pretty straight forward. There were a nice variety of questions, and I found it pretty easy to pick out the question that suited my response. Kudos to the BOS.

The thing is, I'm still a bit mystified as to whether or not the cultural frame was even addressed in the exam - maybe it applied to one of the extended responses?

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
The first question was quite hit or miss. I wasn't sure how in depth they wanted us to address the question. I also think a lot of people chose Q6. I did, and so did most of my class. Also, best of luck for tomorrow - you'll get through it.

Section One was pretty decent. I especially liked question two. Lots of fruit.

Section Two was pretty straight forward. There were a nice variety of questions, and I found it pretty easy to pick out the question that suited my response. Kudos to the BOS.

The thing is, I'm still a bit mystified as to whether or not the cultural frame was even addressed in the exam - maybe it applied to one of the extended responses?
Thank you! And yes haha "lots of fruit" is one way to describe Q2.

As for the cultural frame, couldn't that be applied to Q2 as well? I assumed it was a frames question so I spoke about cultural for all three plates but postmodern for the very last. Then again it was a bit of "world" as well but I tried to link it to a frames kind of question because they are interchangeable sometimes.

Who did you discuss for Q6? :)

dirty_ink

HSC
Thank you! And yes haha "lots of fruit" is one way to describe Q2.

As for the cultural frame, couldn't that be applied to Q2 as well? I assumed it was a frames question so I spoke about cultural for all three plates but postmodern for the very last. Then again it was a bit of "world" as well but I tried to link it to a frames kind of question because they are interchangeable sometimes.

Who did you discuss for Q6? :)
Well, that sounds legit. I skimmed through the questions so I don't remember what some of them entailed, but it seems like you did well :)

I chose Picasso, Gittoes and Ken and Julia Yonetani. Good mix for discussing social issues.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I talked about for the 'fruit question'

how 1 of the titles didn't mention still life but the others did? So it 'contrasted' and highlighted a post modern way of looking at the world..

It was okay :I extended response questions weren't two difficult, and there were a nice variety to choose from.

wallflowerrose

HSC
Uni Grad
I chose Q6 as well and wrote 3 booklets on Marcel Duchamp, Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein. Section one was great but I spent too much time writing for Q1 and Q2 so I only got to write a page and a quarter for question 3 which sucks because it was worth 12 marks. Serves me right for poor time management and writing too much for the other questions.

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Well, that sounds legit. I skimmed through the questions so I don't remember what some of them entailed, but it seems like you did well :)

I chose Picasso, Gittoes and Ken and Julia Yonetani. Good mix for discussing social issues.
Sounds good!

Don't think I'll do particularly well for the essay because I just realised that in the heat of the moment, I forgot to mention the form of each artwork after my Kiefer paragraph, so I missed out on mentioning things like 'mixed media', 'installation' etc but form was only alluded to when I described the artwork as I analysed it. How harsh do you think they'll be on a blunder like that?

Honestly hoping that they are pretty lenient with this sort of stuff. I'd hate to lose marks for not mentioning EVERYTHING possible, but that they give me the benefit of the doubt by answering the question with what I thought was correct.

I chose Q6 as well and wrote 3 booklets on Marcel Duchamp, Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein. Section one was great but I spent too much time writing for Q1 and Q2 so I only got to write a page and a quarter for question 3 which sucks because it was worth 12 marks. Serves me right for poor time management and writing too much for the other questions.
Aww! Sounds like you're down pat with the essay, but try not to think about Q3 too much. I don't think you'll lose TOO many marks if you were pressured enough to write concisely.

wallflowerrose

HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds good!

Honestly hoping that they are pretty lenient with this sort of stuff. I'd hate to lose marks for not mentioning EVERYTHING possible, but that they give me the benefit of the doubt by answering the question with what I thought was correct.
Did you use quotes? I had 2 per artist so 6 all up...I don't think it will matter much if you forgot to leave that sort of stuff out but I guess it depends on what question you chose, I did question 6 so I believe they will be more lenient with that question in regards to the artworks format.

Any one have any ideas for the band 6 raw mark?

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Did you use quotes? I had 2 per artist so 6 all up...I don't think it will matter much if you forgot to leave that sort of stuff out but I guess it depends on what question you chose, I did question 6 so I believe they will be more lenient with that question in regards to the artworks format.

I had two quotes for Goya, one for Xu Bing, and some paraphrased audience reactions for Kiefer (albeit I don't believe these were specific enough, because I didn't mention who the audiences were or from what exhibition). I have no idea if quotes are too integral, though.

No idea about the band 6 raw mark. It'll probably be higher than we expect like 88.

dirty_ink

HSC
Sounds good!

Don't think I'll do particularly well for the essay because I just realised that in the heat of the moment, I forgot to mention the form of each artwork after my Kiefer paragraph, so I missed out on mentioning things like 'mixed media', 'installation' etc but form was only alluded to when I described the artwork as I analysed it. How harsh do you think they'll be on a blunder like that?

You'll be alright. Markers should give you the benefit of doubt because it's not like you completely excluded mentioning the art forms.

I'm not sure exactly, but I heard it was raised recently.

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
You'll be alright. Markers should give you the benefit of doubt because it's not like you completely excluded mentioning the art forms.

I'm not sure exactly, but I heard it was raised recently.
Fair enough. I wonder if the majority of the candidature will have done so well with the rather straightforward questions that a band 6 cut off would be above 90%. Would this even be possible?

Btw dirty_ink, what did you do for your major? Haven't seen any BoWs beyond my own class (of around 10 people). You too, wallflower.

dirty_ink

HSC
Fair enough. I wonder if the majority of the candidature will have done so well with the rather straightforward questions that a band 6 cut off would be above 90%. Would this even be possible?

Btw dirty_ink, what did you do for your major? Haven't seen any BoWs beyond my own class (of around 10 people). You too, wallflower.
Yes, it's possible. The average V.A. cohort seems pretty strong in general. Then again, there may be more outstanding students in one year than another so it would vary. In the end, it's just mere speculation. I hope we do do well enough to push up that band 6 though.

My BOW consisted of two large scale paintings that were self-portraits of sorts. You?

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Yes, it's possible. The average V.A. cohort seems pretty strong in general. Then again, there may be more outstanding students in one year than another so it would vary. In the end, it's just mere speculation. I hope we do do well enough to push up that band 6 though.

My BOW consisted of two large scale paintings that were self-portraits of sorts. You?
Ahh! I'm scared I'll fall just below it! And you're right, the VA cohort is usually strong, because everyone has the potential to do incredibly well. Considering that the essay questions were rather broad and straightforward. W/e we can only hope.

Sounds good - love the portraits that I see in artexpress, and I love concepts of identity, stuff like that. I did six (planned for seven but I had to merge my sixth and 'seventh' progress cause 7AM all nighter too tired to keep going) biro portraits of people blended into architecture (each piece was about an A4 size). My teacher and myself were rather disappointed with the result because I could've done more if I started earlier, and the concept wasn't nailed as hard as it could've been. :)

wallflowerrose

HSC
Uni Grad
I did a series of oil paintings using the palette knife technique on the concept of the asylum seekers journey to Australia leaving behind hardship in search of freedom and mercy. It consisted of portraits of the refugees and waterscapes with boats being swallowed by the waves. I wanted to do something political and social.

dirty_ink

HSC
Ahh! I'm scared I'll fall just below it! And you're right, the VA cohort is usually strong, because everyone has the potential to do incredibly well. Considering that the essay questions were rather broad and straightforward. W/e we can only hope.

Sounds good - love the portraits that I see in artexpress, and I love concepts of identity, stuff like that. I did six (planned for seven but I had to merge my sixth and 'seventh' progress cause 7AM all nighter too tired to keep going) biro portraits of people blended into architecture (each piece was about an A4 size). My teacher and myself were rather disappointed with the result because I could've done more if I started earlier, and the concept wasn't nailed as hard as it could've been. :)
Yeah, I'm curious as to which artworks the panel will select for the showcase. Last year was brilliant.

That sounds pretty interesting, what with your choice of medium and subject. Nice connotations going on. As for the time management aspect, I also messed up. There was originally meant to be two larger canvas and 2-3 smaller ones, but the latter were sacrificed in order to better resolve the two large ones. Oh well.

Out of curiosity, how many pens did you go through?

I did a series of oil paintings using the palette knife technique on the concept of the asylum seekers journey to Australia leaving behind hardship in search of freedom and mercy. It consisted of portraits of the refugees and waterscapes with boats being swallowed by the waves. I wanted to do something political and social.
That's a neat reference to contemporary issues. It sounds like it looks amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)