• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

General UTS Thoughts and Business Course (1 Viewer)

Acid

HSC
Well, just coming to the end of my trials so gotta start making Uni selections soon. Just after a bit of advice from people who have actually had first hand experience in this sort of stuff.

I'm really interested in doing Business/Commerce, and I heard that UTS is the best course for it because of its highly practical nature and linkes to corporations, etc. However, i've also heard that the campus/social life there is pretty crap compared to UNSW and USYD. Who to believe?

I'm not one to make quick judgments, so any thoughts you can offer here would be greatly appreciated!

P.S: Check your personal agendas/biases at the door!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Campus life may not be as good, but it's the course that counts. Day to day it's good, there isn't much of a unibar/night scene like at other unis though. But it's still a pretty friendly uni with a bit of campus life. But because of the ways it's campuses are spread the campus life isn't as good as USYD and UNSW.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The union services are pretty good but the student body is apathetic. Who can blame them when their campus is the CBD? What's more, a significant number of students are Internationals, many of whom must work or study to get through uni (and hence go straight home/ to work rather than linger).

If you're considering the campus alone then yes, don't expect much. But if you realise we have the whole CBD at our feet then there's nothing to complain about. :)

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
I'm a business student and even though I havnt seen UNSW or SYD's commerce program, I can highly recommend UTS's course. You have all sorts of flexibility to go on to two areas of your choice. The lecturing is excellent, the hours are great! I would agree, I wouldnt rate UTS social life, but then again, i live so far away, I just go to uni and come back.

Campus-wise its gonna be a stark contrast between UNSW and SYD. Its a city-campus which i prefer. Hell I dont have to walk as far :p But if you wanna hang out and sit on grass, then UNSW and SYD is for you.

I would also consider where u live. Travelling can get to you if you live really far away

Acid

HSC
Beaky said:
I'm a business student and even though I havnt seen UNSW or SYD's commerce program, I can highly recommend UTS's course. You have all sorts of flexibility to go on to two areas of your choice. The lecturing is excellent, the hours are great! I would agree, I wouldnt rate UTS social life, but then again, i live so far away, I just go to uni and come back.

Campus-wise its gonna be a stark contrast between UNSW and SYD. Its a city-campus which i prefer. Hell I dont have to walk as far :p But if you wanna hang out and sit on grass, then UNSW and SYD is for you.

I would also consider where u live. Travelling can get to you if you live really far away
Thanks for that. I live in Bondi so it's not really that far...

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
ah im considering going to UTS myself and i wouldnt pick your courses based on campus life.

in the end its about further education- its in the city so im sure you can have some fun there.

fillstar

HSC
Im currently doing business at UTS and I think its great.

I wouldnt place such an emphasis on campus life. Most business students have part time or casual jobs because they attend classes 3days a week or they work full time and come back for part time night classes.

Because UTS is in the city alot of people come home from the office straight to campus. This is one of the strengths of UTS, the flexible attendance and classes.
Yes UTS has good links but alot of the job hunting initiative is placed on yourself, they have services to help however.

Essentially, Business at UTS and Commerce at UNSW or USYD should be the same anyway but just go to whichever your most comfortable with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)