Geogebra (1 Viewer)

How often did you use Geogebra software throughout high school?

• Rarely/Hardly Touched it

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Once a Year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A couple of times a Year

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Frequently

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I've just realised how much the New Century books from Yrs 9-10 make heavy empahsis on the Geogebra software. Have any students here used it on regular basis during their high school years?

For me I definitely found that doing and designing the circles improved my understanding of circle geometry. Circle geometry from my perspective is the most challenging topic in Year 10 maths (from what I know its part of - LOBES) as it leads on to Years 11/12 extension maths.

I'm sure schools encourage students to use it and if I would suggest students to get a better understand of this particular topic is to use it more often to further their knowledge.

I've also created a poll to see , how regularly your experience has been in using the software. (which is free to use online)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
For me:
2014- Never heard of it
2015- Never Heard of it
2016-Once a Year
2017- Monthly

I kind of regret not using it earlier,would have enhanced my learning a lot quickly.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Instead I used Desmos. Useful for curve sketching. Only used it in yr 11/12.
I am a regular user of Desmos but have never done circle geometry on there. Can you do it on there?

Are there any other recommended circle geometry programs out there worthy of having a look at?

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Well in my high school days, there was no Geogebra, so I guess I have to tick I 'never used it'. Surprised to see that it is a fairly recent product developed in the early 2000's. This was a source from Wikipedia:

"Its creator, Markus Hohenwarter,[2] started the project in 2001 (as part of his master's thesis) at the University of Salzburg, continuing it at Florida Atlantic University (2006–2008), Florida State University (2008–2009), and now at the University of Linz together with the help of open-source developers and translators all over the world.

After a successful Kickstarter campaign, GeoGebra expanded their offerings to include an iPad, an Android and a Windows Store app version.[3]

In 2013, Bernard Parisse's Giac was integrated into GeoGebra's CAS view"

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I could understand now when learning this topic along with congruency of triangles , why that software would enhance the learning and why teachers in high school settings, would prefer the student to model the diagrams for themselves, then do examples from the book.

envlam

HSC
N/A
Never heard of it until this year. I've been using it to construct diagrams for my students ever since I started using it. Great software, very easy to use compared to drawing graphs in latex.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I used it once as part of a school task for about 30 mins.

I then used it a few times throughout year 12 but that was just for my own purposes of graph drawing for various personal projects and being too ceebs to get actual good software

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
The poll figure so far have been interesting, I honestly thought the Geogebra was a bit of a hit and giggle. But it seems , keen students which I assume most on BoredofStudies are, shows to me that probably over half of the state is using it.(I'm estimating a fair figure would be about 70%)

I am a regular user of Desmos and used that way more in the past then I do for Geogebra.

Also maybe the poll might not be the best question. Should have maybe review my sample population and directed it to current students or students that have graduated in the past 5 years of the HSC.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
The poll figure so far have been interesting, I honestly thought the Geogebra was a bit of a hit and giggle. But it seems , keen students which I assume most on BoredofStudies are, shows to me that probably over half of the state is using it.(I'm estimating a fair figure would be about 70%)

I am a regular user of Desmos and used that way more in the past then I do for Geogebra.

Also maybe the poll might not be the best question. Should have maybe review my sample population and directed it to current students or students that have graduated in the past 5 years of the HSC.
I also gotta say that at least in my opinion "A couple of times a Year" qualifies as "Rarely/Hardly Touched it"

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I also say if your considering doing any sort of Extension maths in Years 11 & 12, using Geogebra earlier (probably around Year 7 or 8 ) in high school is better.

I must admit when I studied Maths Extension in 2014-2016 , I was drawing circles up with a compass. (sometimes I used a 20 cent coin or a bottle of water and draw around that . Yes you might all laugh at me!)

With the advancement in technology, you need to do it on computers, its more quicker and easier for the eye.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
I had a look at the New Century Year 7 and 8 books, they introduced Geogebra early into high school, in their books. I don't want to endorse New Century but the fact that they did that means they are 'thinking ahead' and makes the book a better product.

I thought it was only introduced mainly in Year 9 & 10 text books. (I was wrong there)

I also assumed ONLY that the latest version of the New Century textbooks have implemented Geogebra into their books. (compared to previous and older versions which had no Geogebra)

The instructions are easy to read as well for non-regular users. (It's not as if there aren't enough Geogebra guides out there)

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
For ordinary graphing purposes, Desmos suffices.

GeoGebra allows much more interactive approaches. I use GeoGebra when I feel there is a need to simulate something, not just graph it. And indeed, GeoGebra can also be used for Euclidean geometry, by extension.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)