Getting your L's (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
In support of DaddyK.

Your choice of gearbox, as simple as it seems, represents who you are.

Autos are for commuters. Read: lazy and lacklustre.

Manuals are for drivers. Read: lively and passionate.

tempco

HSC
thats about right. although manual gives you more control over the car, which makes it safer. but in the end it depends on the driver.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
no need to worry i got my l's on july 04 and ive only done 15 hours :eek:
o wells but my friend cant get his l's cause his parents dont let him till after the hsc
just go for it its easy u should pass first time
and i wont mention someone who took four times to pass *cough*
no offence intended to the person whose name i wont mention

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
lol ive got mine for a year and i havent even driven yet. however its a good thing for ID and you are eager to drive. Then again you can also pay for proof of age card.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah im 17 and dont have my Ls.......Ill eventually get them, but there is not much point on getting them atm. It would be just the novely of having a little plastic card.

tempco

HSC
my advice would be to get your Ls, and ur Ps as soon as possible... being able to drive is priceless... everyone has places to go to or people to meet up with.. once you do have your Ps (and a car obviously), life is so much easier.

SlipStream

HSC
w1ck3d_c10wn said:
haha what if its an auto with a transbrake and manual shift? or a tiptronic gearbox? ;]
Transbrake? ... huh?

"Tiptronics" (as Mitsubishi calls em) are for people who are lazy and get excited every now and then by whatever - lack of sex, fast music, caffeine, etc. They're good because the blokes at the pub don't give you such a hard time - "haha ya bought an 'ordo' ya granma! hah- oh, it's one of em self shifta thingos - fair enuff, have a cold wun on me, mate!"

Ever driven one? They fucken suck. The ones in Falcons, Magnas, Corrollas etc etc (cheap ones) have nothing on their more expensive conterparts - i.e. the M3 SMG box, Ferrari's paddleshifters, etc. Those ones are the REAL sequentials.

Give me a traditional manual over any of em!

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
transbrake, aka stall converter, means you can sit there and give the car some revs in drive without taking off, then pressing a button (I believe some can be activated with the brakes too) and the car gets a really hard launch, kinda like dropping the clutch in a manual.

Manual shifting auto is kinda like a tiptronic, has the auto box and shifter, but with parts from a manual box in it. For all those people who want to drive something like a manual, but can't cope with a clutch ;p

I've yet to drive a tiptronic, my calais is an auto, but so's most around, and the Jatco is reasonably tough.

SlipStream

HSC
w1ck3d_c10wn said:
transbrake, aka stall converter
Ohhh I see.

To-may-to ... To-mar-to

You should try and translate all the different names people tend to make up of parts - it gets really annoying because they tend to get angry with you. I got a guy asking for a "firing pin" once and he turned out to be asking for a spark plug... and he made me look like I didn't know what I was on about.

I hate customers like that.

w1ck3d_c10wn

HSC
yeah, well different people have different names for things, and even magazines will use different words, I've heard transbrake used more than stall converter, cause you can also get confused with torque converter. ;p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)