Glucose Monomer (1 Viewer)

bug7

Hey, im trying to make notes based on the syllabus dot points, and im stuck for

"identify that cellulose contains the basic carbon-chain structures needed to build petrochemicals and discuss its potential as a raw material"

I know the glucose monomer is C6O6H12 and that cellulose cannot easily be broken down into glucose, but how does having the carbon chain make it possible to build petrochemicals?

Thanks for your help,

-Bug7

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Okay, analyse your petrochemicals first. You will see that the major structure is like this:

I'm assuming that you are actually confused by the look of Glucose (the ring structure) which has confused you with the possibility to build petrochemicals. Imagine you could break down one of the links between the carbon atoms in a glucose molecule, that broken down structure will have the basic structure of petrochemicals (see above). So after you have broken your cellulose into bits and pieces, you could use some reactions to cause the leftover molecules to break down into chains and there you have your chain structure for petrochemicals. And by chemicall process these werid chains of carbons (such as removing the Oxygen molecules) you will be able to build petrochemicals :) Also, another thing which might be worth mentioning is that glucose don't only come in the ring structure, it has got a few other structure which are chains :)

Last edited:

valentino

advice

hey im stressing sooooo much for chemistry,,,,i have a tutor and iv made heaps of notes on chem by dot syllubus points but when it comes to answereing a past HSC paper,,,well i cant seem to fully answere it coz iv fogot,,and im panicing that im not realy studing good,,,what do i do? if anyones got advice please

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
Originally posted by valentino
hey im stressing sooooo much for chemistry,,,,i have a tutor and iv made heaps of notes on chem by dot syllubus points but when it comes to answereing a past HSC paper,,,well i cant seem to fully answere it coz iv fogot,,and im panicing that im not realy studing good,,,what do i do? if anyones got advice please
mmm stress=no good

okay sounds like ur making an effort, but its not working perhaps ur not absorbing everything lol (its my way of appearing to answer ur question while repeating it)

but in all seriousness; i suggest just doing lots of practice; even with ur notes open; it will help

bug7

Thanks man, thats logical.

My teacher neglected to fully explain about the petrochemical chain (a.k.a. i wasn't listening :rolleyes: )

Don't stress about chemistry. Read the textbook, ask your teacher, listen in class, get resources from the net (and here). It all starts to eerily make sense, trust me :D

And of course, its better than those damn text-book-regurgitating subjects (yeah that's right, legal, economics, business!!!)

Thanks again,

-Bug

spaz

also along this line - the textbook says that "each glucose unit of cellulose has 4 carbon atoms joined together in a chain"

but there are 6?

whats going on

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spaz
also along this line - the textbook says that "each glucose unit of cellulose has 4 carbon atoms joined together in a chain"

but there are 6?

whats going on
dun wori... uhm i fink hydrocarbons up to 4 carbon chain is most commonly used in petrol chemical industry... and they are really the startin material for the industry...

an other way lookin at it, is that when u haf 6 in a chain, u must haf 4 in a chain already...

oh yea, when answerin this sorta question, my tutor repetitively stressed that draw a monomer and use a different color pen to circle out the 4 carbon chain (as startin material...) there are 3 ways to circle it, either is fine...

btw, mitocondria, nice pic of carbon chain, i love it... ^^ very neat and coolz.... ^^

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
this has been discussed b4, concquering made a mistake in the book, it was even noted on its website i think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)