• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

GOVT2225 (International Security in the 21st C) vs. GOVT2226 (International Orgs) (1 Viewer)

dotcomgirl

HSC
Hey guys,

For those who have completed GOVT2225 - International Security in the 21st C - and/or GOCT2226 - International Organisations - which one would you recommend to someone who has enjoyed World Pol and Geopolitics in first year?

I had orginally chosen International Security, but due to timetabling issues (stupid clashes), which has caused indecisiveness ><", could any of your guys give me a recommendation between the two? Or at least highlight what you liked or disliked about either and what were the assessments like?

Thanks!

KarmaKitten

HSC
I did GOVT2225, and I particularly liked it. Is it still being run by Ben Goldsmith?

A lot of people are quite negative about International Secutrity. It tends to be very packed, features a lot of theory and quite a bit of reading. Personally I found it quite interesting. Ben Goldsmith teaching can be a bit dry and monotone and can often lose you in the lectures. He also has a very American style of teaching and one of the assessments was in lecture quizzes that added to 10%, which meant of course you had to attend lectures as he did not tell you in which lectures they would be. Which was bleh.

But I loved the major assigment which was a case study of a chosen conflict. I found that one of the most interesting assessments I've done. The exam was pretty straight forward though required that you kept up with your readings obviously.

All in all, I thought it was taught well, at times a bit dry, the quizzes were pointless but very easy to get the 10% mark, but the variety of readings and tutorial discussions were very good!

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I think it's Gil this time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)