GPA for students who have done exchange? (1 Viewer)

celestia

HSC
General Profile of students who applied for exchange?

I did a rough search and yielded fruitlessness, but I figured if there was a thread like it, it could easily be merged.

I was overcome by a burning curiosity to know the outcomes of how students went when applying for study exchange. Then I thought, it would be nice thread to read with profiles of students' applications and whether they were successful or not. Of course one is always at liberty to disclove however much or however little they desire. Hopefully someone out there agrees!

edit: Guh, I should have changed the title! I was most interested in the GPA, but i realise others peeking at this thread, may or may not be interested in other factors aside from GPA. Apologies!

Date of application - Date of notification of outcome:

What university/universities did you apply to?
(if you had back-up universities, were they in different countries, were they similar institutions?)

Did you apply through Student Exchange (partner university) or Study Abroad(directly to the institution)?

Was the language of instruction English or did you have proficiency in the country's language?

What courses did you apply for?
(were they cores? all electives?)

Did you get nominated by your home university?
(If you're still awaiting confirmation, then you can edit later :p)

Did your partner/host university accept you?

What key elements made up your statement of purpose?
(more or less dot points of what personal achievements/aspirations/etc were made under the criteria used for assessing the statement of purpose for your university. eg// President of some club, prize winner for some academic competition, emphasis on the course differences for your degree, overseas volunteering experience in the country you're applying for, etc)

What was your GPA at the time of applying was
(For most universities, there is a minimum GPA required to apply for semester/year abroad on a student exchange/study abroad. If the minimum was 2.0, did you get 2.6? 2.1, 3.5? If the minimum was 3.0, did you have a 3.2, a 3.8?)

Who wrote your academic referrals/letters of recommendation?
(your first year prof, a colleague doing research)

What sot of financial aid did you receive
(did you end up getting a scholarship? OS-Help..etc)

Last edited:

Peartie

HSC
Date of application - Date of notification of outcome:

Sometime in February 2008 - Sometime in May 2008

What university/universities did you apply to?
(if you had back-up universities, were they in different countries, were they similar institutions?)

Passau Germany (The partnership between our unis went bust so i couldnt go to this on in the end), Justus-Liebig Universitaet Giessen, Germany

Did you apply through Student Exchange (partner university) or Study Abroad(directly to the institution)?

Student Exchange (Partner University)

Was the language of instruction English or did you have proficiency in the country's language?

Was all in German - although there were English courses I couldve taken I didnt really want to take any of them

What courses did you apply for?
(were they cores? all electives?)

All the subjects (10ish) counted towards 2 subjects in australia - one core and one elective

Did you get nominated by your home university?

I had to do it for my degree so kinda i guess....

Did your partner/host university accept you?

yes they did...obviously :p

What key elements made up your statement of purpose?
(more or less dot points of what personal achievements/aspirations/etc were made under the criteria used for assessing the statement of purpose for your university. eg// President of some club, prize winner for some academic competition, emphasis on the course differences for your degree, overseas volunteering experience in the country you're applying for, etc)

Basically why I want to go overseas, what activities i do at and outside of uni and how I would be a good ambassador for uni

What was your GPA at the time of applying was
(For most universities, there is a minimum GPA required to apply for semester/year abroad on a student exchange/study abroad. If the minimum was 2.0, did you get 2.6? 2.1, 3.5? If the minimum was 3.0, did you have a 3.2, a 3.8?)

I cant remember exactly...I think it was around 2.9 (credit average) and 2.0 (pass average) was the required one....

Who wrote your academic referrals/letters of recommendation?
(your first year prof, a colleague doing research)

I had a German Lecuturer write them for me

What sot of financial aid did you receive
(did you end up getting a scholarship? OS-Help..etc)

Uni provided me with money (as they provide everyone that goes overseas) and also centrelink benefits whilst studying. But also worked 2 jobs in the year and a half before I went overseas....

Just on a side note to your GPA question - I wish that the marks I got overseas counted towards it, seeing as i got mostly HD's with one D whilst over there :(

celestia

HSC
Re: General Profile of students who applied for exchange?

Yay! Thank you so much for this!

I actually thought the grades you achieve are converted into ones your university can use in your academic transcript. It would really smell if they weren't considered in the GPA at all...especially for students who are attempting cores overseas who also aim for post-graduate entry.

haha

Peartie

HSC
Re: General Profile of students who applied for exchange?

For me I did one subject which was 12 Credit Points (INTS200) which was mereley satisfactory or unsatisfactory...and to pass I needed to get S i needed to pass 75% of my subjects overseas...but because of that it only affects the GPA should I have got a U.

The other subject i did (worth 3cp) did count but the teacher only gave it as a credit (70) because I got a pass (57) in the prereq subject, then the next subject got a pass (63) as well so she felt as though giving me an HD would be unfair for some stupid reason! - All for German (Advanced I, II and III)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)