• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

gpa totally ruined? (1 Viewer)

gish

HSC
Any advice or opinions would very much be appreciated!

I did well in high school (UAI 98), but had some major emotional issues in my first year of uni. As a result I didn't even bother turning up for three of my exams (Chem 1901, MATH 1001, MATH 1005) in first semester. I should have tried for special consideration but alas, I didn't, and it's too late now. I have three ugly failures on my record. I have always wanted to do medicine but I now realise the chances of doing that are slim because my gpa is completely ruined. I calculated my first year GPA to be 4.75 , including the failed subjects.

And while I'm expecting my GPA to be over 5.5 for second year, it's no where near high enough to pull up my lousy marks from first year.

If however I work consistently in third year, I will probably manage to pull my overall GPA score up to around 5.3 (based on ANU's system where GPA is weighted by year). That's not sufficient to reach Sydney's cutoff, but ANU requires a 5.0. Basically I'm asking if, even though I reach the cutoff, with an overall weighted gpa ~5.3, is there any point in me bothering to try for ANU. I can imagine there would be SO many applicants with higher GPA's applying. Am I a lost cause?

And finally, I assume there is no way to remove a failure from my academic transcript...but is there any way to have those failed subjects (counted as zeros) removed from my GPA calculation?

It just seems totally unfair that any chance I may have had was ruined by a mistake in first year. I am tearing my hair out, because I didn't realise the implications at the time. :(

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
if there is a personal statement or interview requirement, perhaps then you can attempt to explain your fails in the first year.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Why ask this question for? It's pretty obvious. If you can apply then why not apply?

gish

HSC
Frigid said:
if there is a personal statement or interview requirement, perhaps then you can attempt to explain your fails in the first year.
True, but my main concern is actually getting an interview.

inasero said:
Why ask this question for? It's pretty obvious. If you can apply then why not apply?
I'd rather not waste my money and hold onto a false hope if it's not going to be worth it.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I think if you're committed enough you can acheive anything. See Lexicographer as an example. He didn't do too well in the HSC and UMAT but he worked hard at Uni and resat the UMAT and got good results and now he's studying in UWA.

So, the question you should be asking yourself isn't really "Is it financially viable applying?" or "Would a GPA of 5.3 allow me entry into ANU?", but rather "do I have the committment to apply for, and further, to follow through four years of gruelling study?".

There's no such thing as a false hope (especially in your case where you're not doing too badly)- there is only abandoned hope. Why should someone as gifted as yourself give up before you even try to apply for medicine?

gish

HSC
inasero said:
I think if you're committed enough you can acheive anything. See Lexicographer as an example. He didn't do too well in the HSC and UMAT but he worked hard at Uni and resat the UMAT and got good results and now he's studying in UWA.

So, the question you should be asking yourself isn't really "Is it financially viable applying?" or "Would a GPA of 5.3 allow me entry into ANU?", but rather "do I have the committment to apply for, and further, to follow through four years of gruelling study?".

There's no such thing as a false hope (especially in your case where you're not doing too badly)- there is only abandoned hope. Why should someone as gifted as yourself give up before you even try to apply for medicine?
Thank you, this really meant a lot. I've always doubted myself (hence why I "didn't bother" going to the exams in first year...when looking back I know I would've passed). I guess there's no harm in trying anyway. Thanks again. :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Hmm it's quite surprising to be used as the ideal to aspire to (since I'm far from ideal) but I do agree with Wilson. Think of it as a gamble...what sum of money is "worth" (as opposed to "not worth") the opportunity to study yourself some doctoring?

If it's everything to you, then I think you know already the answer. :)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Sorry for bumping an old thread. But i'd just like to add something. If you are in 2nd year and u undertake a first year course, it will count towards your 1st year gpa. So it might be a good way of upping your GPA >=5.5 for usyd. There is always UQ which is 4.5?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ru sure about tat?

cos then my GPA is screwed!?
i took a 3rd yr subject in 2nd yr..

but im pretty sure if u send in an academic transcript they will see that it was from 1st yr... usually they can disregard it..
gd luck!

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Im 90% sure. I will dig out a link tonight.

And it's not as if your gpa matters alvin, unless u really want honours.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well yes ......i am planning to do tat?!
yes please!? wait does it depend on the uni? or is this universal

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i heard at utas they graduate 70% of the students with honours :p

newcastle changed it to merit i THINK

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
adelaide doesnt have MBBS(Hons) anymore.. it got scraped apparently..

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
UNSW has a lot of honours. But they are divided into classes. I.e. Hons class 1 div 1.

Im not sure about how newcastles honours used to go.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yes it does.. so does other universities :p just in case.. u think otherwise
i think the naming is slightly different but the concept is the same

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yeh thats right, i just checked a testamur and it just said honours class 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)