• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

graphics calculators (1 Viewer)

wootzer

hey guys, are we alowed to use gprahics claculators for the hsc?
if so would you post the model.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
They are actually allowed graphics calculators in general maths!? One thing is, i find it hard using it and i was in 4U...there are just too many functions...i think general maths should stick to the normal calculators since that it'll probably be faster learning how to draw the graphs than knowing the functions of the calculators...
But i know that 3U and 4U aren't allowed....

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
i dont think many general maths0rs would want to use it. simply because of the many functions available and takes time.
its only good for the graphs hence it being a graphx calc.

I

Iota

dark`secrets said:
i dont think many general maths0rs would want to use it. simply because of the many functions available and takes time.
its only good for the graphs hence it being a graphx calc.
Dark secrets: That's completely incorrect. Any decent graphics calculator has ALL the functionality of one of the most powerful scientific calculators, AS WELL as many added functions such as graphing and symbolic manipulation.

My graphic calculator can solve for x, solve for y, solve for anything, it can expand, find roots, integrate with respect to whatever, integrate from a to b, find all the prime factors of 343846764576665, solve systems of simultaneous equations in matrices, do vectors, do matrices, graph differential fields, complex numbers, et cetera.

It is precisely this massive power which has gotten them banned from 2U advanced mathematics and greater HSC examinations, both internal and external.

And yes, it is still easy to use, because any normal scientific functions are pretty much the same as what they are on normal graphic calculators.

Oh, and it can play games, so there. :p

Names can be deceiving. A koala bear isn't a bear.

MoNNiE

HSC
Calculators for use in the General Mathematics HSC Examination and SC Tests

In the General Mathematics HSC Examination, the approved list of scientific calculators does not apply. The criteria for the use of calculators in the General Mathematics HSC Examination are in the Higher School Certificate Examination Timetable, and are reproduced below.

------>Students are permitted to use calculators, including graphics calculators, that are silent, hand-held, and either battery or solar-powered. Calculators that are capable of communicating or exchanging data may be taken into the examination room, but are not to be used for this purpose in the examination. A calculating device that incorporates a set of keys whose primary function is to represent the alphabetic characters (eg a QWERTY keyboard) is not deemed to be a calculator for the purpose of this examination, and will not be allowed.<-------

Calculators to be used by students in the examination must have been switched off and have had all storage facilities cleared for entry into the examination room.

The same criteria apply to the use of calculators in the SC Tests.

As graphics calculators’ storage facilities are not cleared by switching them off, candidates intending to take such calculators into the examination room for the General Mathematics HSC Examination or SC tests need to familiarise themselves with the steps involved in clearing their graphics calculators’ storage facilities.

The steps required to clear the storage facilities (reset) of commonly used Casio, Hewlett-Packard, Sharp and Texas Instruments graphics calculators are provided below:
Casio

The fx-7400G PLUS and fx-9850GB PLUS calculators are reset by pressing the button on the back of the calculator (the RESET confirmation screen appears), and then pressing (Yes) to reset the calculator.

Hewlett-Packard

The HP 38G, HP 39G and HP 40G calculators are reset by pressing and holding the key, the first and last (far left and far right) menu keys simultaneously, then releasing all keys.

Sharp

The EL-9600 and EL-9650 calculators are reset by pressing the reset switch on the back of the calculator, and then pressing the key.

Texas Instruments

The TI-82 is reset by pressing (to display the memory screen), selecting 3:Reset and then 2:Reset. The TI-83 is reset by pressing , selecting 5:Reset, selecting 1:All memory and then 2: Reset. The TI-83PLUS is reset by pressing , selecting 7:Reset, selecting ‘ALL’, and then 2:Reset.

Instruction books on the operation of calculators will not be permitted in the examination room, as students are expected to be familiar with the calculator’s operation well before the examination/tests
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/calculators_hsc_gen_maths.html

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
go to another state lik SA or Vic to use graphics calculators in all the maths..
NSW is old school :( uni maths exams were hard cos for all the calculus bits i couldnt use a gfx calc when everyone else did.. oh well

MoNNiE

HSC
Put it this way, People who don't use calculators to do calculus are S-M-A-R-T!

porge

sorry, you've missed me
HSC
N/A
i know some people in QLAND that use them. its like all they have to learn is which order to push the buttons in.
and my one friend had this really awsome pimp game on it. she actually tkaes her calculator on holidays with her so she can play games
im jealous :(

Callistogenic

HSC
SpoRTsGaL said:
graphics calcs are about 100-130 dollars.
Unless you're looking for the board-recommended Casio CFX-9850. That's $275. (I had a look.) :p

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i have (and used in my general maths exam) a texas instruments TI-83 Plus. I deleted all the programs i had on mine the day before the exam, but in the exam i don't think they even noticed i was using a graphics calculator, let alone check to see if there were any programs on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)