guys i need advice, plz help (1 Viewer)

mrgenerallyidc

HSC
hi guys, i go to a selective school ranked in the top 25 and my atar goal is around a 92+. need some guidance on whether my marks and ranks are at a good enough level to achieve this, so be brutally honest. these are my results as of the year 12 half yearly reports:

english advanced: my mark 77, cohort average 76, rank 60/121
maths advanced: my mark 95, cohort average 82, rank 3/63
maths ext 1: my mark 82, cohort average 88, rank 66/101
physics: my mark 87, cohort average 83, rank 14/32
design and tech: my mark 92, cohort average 93, rank 6/8 (im only 3% behind 1st so can defo pull this up)
business studies: my mark 47, cohort average 63, rank 26/27

business is the one subject i don't enjoy at all, and have basically no will to study for, which i guess explains my why my marks suffer so much. do you guys think i should try to pull up my marks for business, or just let 1 unit of business count to my final atar and pull up 3u maths (this is the option i am actually motivated to do). and any other advice you guys have on how i should go forward with the rest of my hsc would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Having considered all the information that you have provided, I believe that you are currently performing at a level that is consistent with an ATAR between 88 and 91.

Your performance in Mathematics Advanced and Design and Technology is favourable and is likely to make a positive contribution that will hopefully increase your chance of achieving your desired ATAR. It is therefore important to maintain this performance going forward, which will place you in a very good position as you approach your HSC exams. Of course, improvement would undoubtedly be optimal and given that you mentioned your ability to improve your rank in Design and Technology, it seems possible.

I don't think that this necessarily indicates that you are not performing at a sufficiently high level, although any improvement to your rank in English Advanced can potentially support you in terms of getting you closer to your ATAR goal, thanks to a better chance of receiving a higher Assessment Mark (the mark that reflects your internal performance and contributes 50% of your HSC mark) in this subject. Keep in mind that this is the subject that will definitely count towards your ATAR, meaning that it retains its significance as part of your subject combination.

Based on your current performance, there is a chance that Business Studies will end up counting as 1 unit towards your ATAR, with Mathematics Extension 1 contributing the other unit. In the event that this is the case, it would be a good idea to improve your performance in Business Studies as much as possible, through your remaining assessment tasks/exams as well as the HSC exam. This is because, despite the fact that having Business Studies count as 1 unit halves the negative effect that it would have on your ATAR, it does not completely negate it, as opposed to taking 12 units, in which case Business Studies would not count towards your ATAR altogether. Because of this, establishing some sort of balance between Business Studies and Mathematics Extension 1 instead of focusing solely on Mathematics Extension 1 may enable you to further mitigate the unfavourable effect of Business Studies, potentially making it more closely aligned with your ATAR goal.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)