Gwen Harwood (1 Viewer)

spooky

Alrighty, I'm getting might confoozled...

With an Area of Study Essay, do all the related texts that you use, MUST all relate back somehow to Gwen Harwood, or are they just suppose to be representative of 'Changing Self'?

And is that the same with the Stimulus booklet? does the one you choose e.g. The Door have to relate back to a Gwen Harwood? Cause I don't see how either Sky High or the The Door can relate back to any in real detail..... help anyone? :confused:

ben

I don't know exactly what you mean, and I'm also confused.

Apparently, all our texts should relate to changing self if we are doing Gwen Hardwood. Even though the exam question will just be on change. This means for the stimulus booklet you should choose the Door or Sky High rather than fractals for instance (i think).

Also the best essays "interlink" each of the texts. So whilst you don't need to relate everything back to Gwen, it's best if you explore the intertextual relationships of each text.... apparently.

i.e. The song "BlaBla" by Someone explores change in a similar fashion to Gwen Hardwood's poem "At Mornington" as...

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
spooky, you do have to relate back your supp material to gwen harwood AND the stimulus booklet in terms of issues of change portrayed. ive said it once and ill say it again - u must display an understanding of intertextuality in this area of study!
u expressed a query re: how u could relate the stimulus booklet texts to gwen's poems in detail. well, i suggest u do it by analysing the concepts of change evident in gwen's poems. there is an evident link between 'sky high' and 'the glass jar' for example. both texts exemplify an acquirement of knowledge and loss of childhood innocence in the persona. there's just one example you could explore. in your 'change' essay, i would focus on each strand/issue of changing eg, knowledge and its impact on change, progression from childhood to adulthood, how catalyst's instigate dramatic change, how change can also be subtle, etc... that's my theory on the most effective way to approach this module of study.

of course, i could just be talking nonsense... oh well :p

ben

CHANGE QUESTIONS: it seems change questions always seem to make you want to prove/disprove a idea/quote. how bout we all post a view we've had to write about.

MY LAST EXAM:

"Change is a learning experience .. explain how this is demonstrated in..."

sif not 99

lexie just with ur use of intertextuality, just want to get ur thoughts on this because I have started to revise the AOS myself

My understanding of intertextuality appears to be somewhat different to yours. Doing pomo for 3unit we run into intertextuality, pastiche and appropriation pretty often. My understanding would be something, well its simple but it will suffice, in the Simpsons where the bus full of kids gets stuck on the island when they are going of to the model UN, its exactly like the Lord of the Flies, in fact directly inspired by it. That is my understanding of intertextuality.

With all due respect I do understand what you are saying, or what you are getting at, but perhaps it may be better phrased as saying you need to draw parallels between your different AOS texts and supplementary texts. Im sure everybody can understand what that means.

Last edited:

lexie

Junior Burger
HSC
N/A
too true sif thanx for the clarification
just basing my understanding on the fact that you need to identify similar concepts explored in texts and relate them that way. so perhaps focusing on the ideological commentary rather than direct textual parallels. doesnt even have to be as explicit as the 'simpsons' example. could draw parallels via implicit links... but i can see where you're coming from. in know some ppl are coupling 'professor eisenbart' with 'rodin's thinker' and developing on its inherent symbolism yada yada... but im not too sure if such a direct analogy would be cause for praise in the creativity arena.

i guess 'intertextuality' in its deepest sense doesnt call for great exploration in eng adv. hasnt really been pushed in my classroom. we've created textual links via references to the effects of time, ideological movements (eg feminism and its arising stereotypes) and the impact of knowledge.

but now that you've got me thinking, i'm compelled to explore intertextuality in a direct nature... will enrichen my essays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)