hardworking Vs. intelligence (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Being intelligent at English is an oxymoron, because English is illogical.
I thought so too in high school, but honestly after taking some Philosophy/logic courses at Uni I realise that English could be extremely logical (i.e. making conclusions which follow from acceptable premises)...but English teachers just make it confusing and aren't clear about what we even do in English IMO, which is what makes it illogical.

Last edited:

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
hardworking is much more desirable.

i think my year 8 maths teacher told me 'what good is it if you're a genius, if you have the attitude of a pig?' something Einstein said.

spyborg

HSC
N/A
In this scenario:

person 2>person 1 for the hsc

person 1> person 2 for life.

absorber

HSC
Hard work can only get you to JUST behind the James Ruse stupid kids.

Natural intellect takes you from the 98 stage to 99.5+ stage.
What cave do you live in? Lol, you go to a selective school?

I know people who wouldn't get 90 if they worked their arses off

dolbinau

HSC
Natural intellect takes you from the 98 stage to 99.5+ stage.
I could imagine that for some natural intellect will get you 98, but hard work will help them get 99.5+.

TechnIx

HSC
N/A
Yeha

+ rep for making me laugh ^^
Sweet :D

What cave do you live in? Lol, you go to a selective school?

I know people who wouldn't get 90 if they worked their arses off
I agree.
You know how every year there's always 1 or 2 people who do incredible amounts of hard work, and get the top result?

Last years dux (whoever gets the highest UAI) at my school had a UAI of 89.

Just goes to show, there are some people who will get low results no matter how hard they try :(

The only true winner, is a combination of both hardwork AND intelligence...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Sweet :D

I agree.
You know how every year there's always 1 or 2 people who do incredible amounts of hard work, and get the top result?

Last years dux (whoever gets the highest UAI) at my school had a UAI of 89.

Just goes to show, there are some people who will get low results no matter how hard they try :(

The only true winner, is a combination of both hardwork AND intelligence...
I'm sure our dux this year will achieve much more. And hopefully each year can successfully be better than the next, so in 10 years our school may be known to all! Mwahaha :p...

But, I doubt that.

EmJoy

HSC
study smarter not harder.
But why do some people study smarter than others? Isn't that to do with their intelligence afterall?
Although, having said that...I think the environment and upbringing is also important...

jet

Banned
HSC
You know the most intelligent hair colour is red :D

Mainly because of the small percentage of red heads which eliminates the number of dull people.

edit: Clearly I have red hair.
Hahaha I used to have red hair when I was, like, 3. Now it's strawberry blonde.

IMO, I think you need both to excel. But at the same time, you need to develop good time management skills, and an ability to think like a marker so that you can predict where the marks are allocated within a question. On top of that, dealing with the stress is a skill everybody has to have.

There is no black and white answer.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
i reckon i'm not intelligent.
i work my ass off for about 1 month get a mid 80.... i think it also has to do with how you study..
anyone want to tell me how they study?
all i do is read the textbook, do questions in the textbook summarise notes/textbook, and keep re-writing..
then again my school is very competitive, so i'm not sure if my school is just harsh markers or whatever..

lychnobity

HSC
I like to think I'm not too shabby in the natural intelligence department, and I honestly cram all the time, but I pay attention in class, and bludge at home, so yeah, that's how I do well.

talbotross

HSC
well i like to think im intelligent... but i tend to ditch study to go surfing, party, gym etc.. so here there's a paradox. my exam results are average at a top 30 school. Sooo i think intelligence can make school alot easier for people and its thehard working ppl that get the results because the intelligent ones know the easy/ lazy way of doing things. My social life hasnt suffered at all because of the hsc, in fact it has improved because of all the 18ths.
so imo intelligence has fun, herd working gets results but doesnt have fun. fun=life Therefore intlligence wins

jasonlouie

HSC
I do agree that person 1 deserves the Dux award, but person 2 did the right thing by keeping a balance of study and social time. person 1 studied so late into the morning that it did her no good because she was so tired, trust me i know that just because you study more doesn't necessary mean that you will do better... person 1 was a very trying person and worked hard... but not the right way .. at least its over for them now ....my advice is to get a good nights rest and don't study so much... there are more effective and better ways .... just by having a balanced life... and i do understand that a high ATAR is at stake and that some might have very Demanding parents that want their child to succeed, but in the end .... it won't go well if you push yourself to the point where your studies don't have any effect on you to do well and to achieve at your best.

just study smart not study hard.

HSC 09, ATAR AIM 75.45

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)