• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Harvey Krumpet- Please help! (1 Viewer)

Tremendulent

HSC
Hello everyone!

I am in year 12 and have an essay on 'Belonging' (hurr durr) coming up in the next couple of weeks.
We haven't been given the essay questions, only told to choose 2 texts (one prescribed and one chosen).
Our prescribed text is 'As You Like It' and my chosen text is the short film 'Harvey Krumpet'.
I have gotten quite a few notes on it but I am struggling to find a way to link it to my prescribed text.
So if any of you have any ideas on how Harvey Krumpet relates to either 'As You Like It' or the concept of belonging I would be forever grateful.
And out of curiosity, has anyone else done 'Harvey Krumpet' as a chosen text?

Thank you! x

asdfqwerty

HSC
I have analysed 'Harvey Krumpet' at tutor a few years ago and from what I remember, the grandfather was waiting for the bus and there was a sign 'carpre diem' mentioned somewhere (you can correct me if i am wrong, i have no watched it since 2008 or something). You can say from the scene of him waiting for the bus with the 'carpe diem' that belonging is of one's choice, and we choose to how we want to belong. Even when we isolate ourselves from society, there is still a state of acceptance because we belong to ourselves and not affected by anybody else's structure. i dont do 'as you like it' so thats the limitation of how much I can help you.

On a side note, 'Harvey Krumpet' is a very over done related text and many teachers know the short film. ultimately, if you want to do well, then you better stand out in terms of your analysis rather than having the typical concepts of belonging easily evident in the short film.

But best of luck :).

Tremendulent

HSC
Yeah I was going to mention the 'carpe diem', that's quite a bit before the bus stop. But I hadn't thought of it in that context so thank you. And yes, I was going to use 'the choice to belong/ not belong' as my main idea.

In relation to as you like it I was going to do a contrast of relationships and location, but if you don't know the text, nevermind :)

Is it really? :S Argh. I specifically chose it because I thought it was not commonly done. Damn. Do you suggest I do something else then?

But I will take all that advice on board and thank you again. :)

asdfqwerty

HSC
Generally, it's not about how popular a related text is that affects your mark but it's how well you analyse it. If you use an overly done text with overly done techniques and quotes (e.g. mentioned in Excel books etc.) then you won't get that many marks because (1) the marker will get sick to death of seeing the same stuff and (2) if the marker knows the text, they tend to be really iffy if you analyse it incorrectly in terms of belonging. so, if you can think of something extremely unique that has never thought of before then using it should be fine, because then the marker can see your unique perception and understanding of belonging (you are marked on this, have a look at the rubric). that being said, it doesn't mean picking a related text not used by many people will automatically get you good marks.

Tremendulent

HSC
Ahh, I see what you mean.
I'm inspired now so I shall see what I can do haha. :L

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)