Has anyone done this and is it possible? (1 Viewer)

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
I have unlimited free time these summer holidays, is is realistic to aim to complete all the HSC 2u unit math I need for the year?

The work is not very difficult and I think this would be very beneficial as it would make my in school lessons revision and instead or in addition to homework I could grind past papers for like 6 months.

On the other hand is it worth to go ahead more than a term? I could just absolutely grind the next term's work to do the best I can for the closest test instead of this.

Any ideas?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I have unlimited free time these summer holidays, is is realistic to aim to complete all the HSC 2u unit math I need for the year?

The work is not very difficult and I think this would be very beneficial as it would make my in school lessons revision and instead or in addition to homework I could grind past papers for like 6 months.

On the other hand is it worth to go ahead more than a term? I could just absolutely grind the next term's work to do the best I can for the closest test instead of this.

Any ideas?
Depends. I reckon you could learn the content itself but Math is more about how you use that content in other words how you problem solve. So while I think you could definitely learn it all, I don't think you could master the skill of doing those questions as that requires doing lots of past papers and hard end of exam type questions.

Maybe your very smart and can master the skill but how fast you do that depends on the person. The average 2u student won't be able to master it that quickly.

idkkdi

HSC

Any ideas?
Yes, you can definitely do it.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Depends. I reckon you could learn the content itself but Math is more about how you use that content in other words how you problem solve. So while I think you could definitely learn it all, I don't think you could master the skill of doing those questions as that requires doing lots of past papers and hard end of exam type questions.

Maybe your very smart and can master the skill but how fast you do that depends on the person. The average 2u student won't be able to master it that quickly.
So would your suggestion be to go ahead for the term only or not at all? I would definitely say I'm above the average 2u student as I'm 2nd in my class only behind someone who has recently dropped from ext1 and on the previous and only Y12 2u test I beat the vast majority of the Ext students too.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it’s possible. I actually recommend to all my tutoring students to go ahead on their subjects even the subjects they are not doing tutoring with me for during the holidays. When I did hsc the hard work i put in during the summer holidays I feel made my atar because a lot of my peers and people who i was competing against bludged. I think during the summer I learnt the next two topics for Chem and physics, English didn’t really do anything other than try fix essays a bit, maths 2 unit and 3 unit I did a lot and it really helped me a lot

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
However, make sure you don’t just slam yourself with work and do things like not sleeping or poor sleep. If you sleep properly and stuff working harder is easier to sustain

TheOnePheeph

HSC

Any ideas?
If I were you I would definitely do it. Self learning the maths courses is possibly the best way to get a solid understanding on the content, since you are learning at your own pace, and doing it fast allows for more time to actually practice the content, which is how you do well in advanced maths. Its also a good idea for x1 and x2 if you are hoping to do either of those. For 2u, there is actually not a lot of content to learn, starting from scratch in prelim should take about 3 or 4 weeks to learn the entire course, doing it reasonably effectively, so is definitely possible to do during summer break.

I would suggest reading each chapter in your textbook, possibly taking notes, but thats not really necessary, and then doing exercises from the book for a basic understanding. When you finish the course, then move onto past hsc papers and trials.

Make sure you take breaks self teaching though, don't waste your summer :)

Edit- Just realised you were already in year 12. I would still strongly encourage self teaching the rest so you have an entire year to grind out papers, and the course should take even less time to finish off.

#RoadTo31Atar

HSC
Yeah it’s possible. I actually recommend to all my tutoring students to go ahead on their subjects even the subjects they are not doing tutoring with me for during the holidays. When I did hsc the hard work i put in during the summer holidays I feel made my atar because a lot of my peers and people who i was competing against bludged. I think during the summer I learnt the next two topics for Chem and physics, English didn’t really do anything other than try fix essays a bit, maths 2 unit and 3 unit I did a lot and it really helped me a lot
Can you please give your input on getting ahead on a term of work vs a whole year?

If I were you I would definitely do it. Self learning the maths courses is possibly the best way to get a solid understanding on the content, since you are learning at your own pace, and doing it fast allows for more time to actually practice the content, which is how you do well in advanced maths. Its also a good idea for x1 and x2 if you are hoping to do either of those. For 2u, there is actually not a lot of content to learn, starting from scratch in prelim should take about 3 or 4 weeks to learn the entire course, doing it reasonably effectively, so is definitely possible to do during summer break.

I would suggest reading each chapter in your textbook, possibly taking notes, but thats not really necessary, and then doing exercises from the book for a basic understanding. When you finish the course, then move onto past hsc papers and trials.

Make sure you take breaks self teaching though, don't waste your summer :)

Edit- Just realised you were already in year 12. I would still strongly encourage self teaching the rest so you have an entire year to grind out papers, and the course should take even less time to finish off.
Thanks for the long response, I have actually been taking notes and then going through topics already and I found it to help a lot. As for the past papers, that is my main reason for considering this so it's great to hear someone with >99 ATAR recommend it too.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Can you please give your input on getting ahead on a term of work vs a whole year?

Thanks for the long response, I have actually been taking notes and then going through topics already and I found it to help a lot. As for the past papers, that is my main reason for considering this so it's great to hear someone with >99 ATAR recommend it too.
Well it depends, like trying to go ahead every subject is kind of hard, but if you are planning to do that for maths only then yeah its possible

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Just wondering was this your year 10 summer holidays or year 11-12 summer holidays ?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering was this your year 10 summer holidays or year 11-12 summer holidays ?
Year 12. I didn’t do anything in year 10/11 because I was already excelling so didn’t need to study hard to fill holes in my knowledge

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Year 12. I didn’t do anything in year 10/11 because I was already excelling so didn’t need to study hard to fill holes in my knowledge
wow good job. Do you think that a above avergae student should do the same as you did in the year 10 summer holidays?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
wow good job. Do you think that a above avergae student should do the same as you did in the year 10 summer holidays?
I’m not sure tbh because it depends on like how fast you learn. I only really have my perspective on it and I’ve always been a really fast learner so I don’t really need much time to study and can still get a good mark. The only reason I didn’t just do that approach in year 12 is because that is a year you shouldn’t try take chances on because each assessment means something to your overall mark and competition increases compared to year 11 where the majority of students won’t be studying that hard. I know kids who were ranked like 3rd in year 11 and then they didn’t up their game more in year 12 and dropped to 30s in the ranks. It’s just all up to you and being able to decide from your past experience studying what will get you the best mark

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Basically what I’m saying is it depends on your goals and where you are currently at. If you were someone like me already ranking like 1st or 2nd etc. in year 7-10, then like I’m already on that trajectory to a certain atar so it wasn’t necessary to like study all the time.

but if you are a student who is like trying to push for a rank / mark significantly above their current level then yes you can benefit from learning ahead

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Basically what I’m saying is it depends on your goals and where you are currently at. If you were someone like me already ranking like 1st or 2nd etc. in year 7-10, then like I’m already on that trajectory to a certain atar so it wasn’t necessary to like study all the time.

but if you are a student who is like trying to push for a rank / mark significantly above their current level then yes you can benefit from learning ahead
Thanks for the wonderful advice :)

gudetamago

HSC
Uni Grad
You could try. Learning the entire Maths 2U syllabus sounds a little too ambitious though, it might result in sacrificing your other subjects to focus solely on maths. I went ahead but I did so in all of my subjects. I learnt the next module for science subjects, the next few topics for maths and read my prescribed texts for English. If going ahead in Maths is going to jeopardise your performance and content memorisation for other subjects, I would advise against it, but hey if you're doing well overall and Maths is your weak point then by all means nothing's stopping you. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)