Has HSC physics been mutilated....... (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I've got a physics teacher who constantly says HSC Physics course isn't physics and that it's been multilated by the syllabus writers.

Do other people think it's true? and what arguments could I say to get him to shut up and get on with teaching?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Well they have taken more theoretical stuff out every year, and physics is becoming more like English with those key words (eg analyse, assess)

Tell him he's not a syllabus writer, he's a teacher and he should get on with the teaching.

FinalFantasy

HSC
well yeah he is sort of right... the physics course is now ruined by that change in syllabus... it used to be full of maths, now it's all stuffed up and full of english! :vcross:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Simple answer: Take a look at the first year advanced physics exam and compare to HSC Physics paper. If HSC Physics was anything like uni physics (obviously easier though) there would probably have to be a cut off in terms of level of maths currently being studied

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
I wish physics was more mathematical, this revised version blows (imo)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
If it was though then it would probably restrict the access of students doing it to probably people doing Maths Ext 1 or above

hasterz

HSC
they are just slack to asians

all subjects now are so english oriented

FinalFantasy

HSC
hasterz said:

true, dey also did it w\ some uni courses such as med.. there used to be no interview lol

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
xrtzx said:
yep agree, all english wat a girl's subject :'(
Although somehow I found English to be easier, you just memorise the quotes that support your argument and that's it. The sciences are worse than that.

And I actually got a higher mark in English than physics.

FinalFantasy

HSC
ahh, i hate english, i find science subjects much easier lol

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
hasterz said:

how about asians learn english ? its a stupid thing to say when there is a lot of other nationalities that come into the country and learn to speak english. No point in singling out asians.

arielbelle

HSC
N/A
i tread on thin waters when i say this because ppl are going to come up with lots (and there are lots) of counterexamples, but perhaps asians are generally the more 'academic' ones?
anyway, it's not just physics, even chem is more english-orientated now. it allows for quite a bit of impression marking which is just all too prevalent in humanities subjects and which, one would assume, would be excluded from the logics of science. however, you do need appropriate language to explain your logic and different aspects of it (as in analyse or explain etc) so i suppose there is a point in this new obsession with verbs and language.

hasterz

HSC
wrx said:
how about asians learn english ? its a stupid thing to say when there is a lot of other nationalities that come into the country and learn to speak english. No point in singling out asians.
but think to yourself what are asians better at overall maths or english? Sure asians can learn the language but asian parents force their children to be proficient at mathematics..... the board of studies knows this which is why they are making subjects more and more english oriented

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
1. the teacher is correct
2. he/she should get on with teaching it
3. you should get on with learning it

you have to try to do the best you can with what you have.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
hasterz said:
but think to yourself what are asians better at overall maths or english? Sure asians can learn the language but asian parents force their children to be proficient at mathematics..... the board of studies knows this which is why they are making subjects more and more english oriented
Maybe you could consider that the Board of Studies isn't out to get asians as you so described it yet to present the concepts of Physics in such a way as that all who take the course and understand it without it becoming another 2 units of mathematics. It does go a tad far in parts but the history of science is an important aspect to learn, it allows the user to see how others got past goals and problem solved (such as Thomsons charge mass ratio of an electron) helping their own problem solving skills.

Secondly it isnt fucking english it is memorisation so stop spouting some bullshit about you being disadvantaged by BOS because they want to keep Asians out of university. Have a look in victoria their Physics is becoming more of an appreciation course as well (although you would probably complain about their current one because it goes into Engineering in parts). It isn't about making it more english orientated in such a way as to disadvantage Asians, unless you are trying to make claims that an Asian's memory is worse off than a Europeans or Indians of Africans.

Not everyone is out to get the minorities and it is about time the minorities realised this. Maybe it is out to get males via the introduction of more mathematical skills, maybe it's whole objective is to make the European people seem above the Asians by the lack of any Asian scientists in the syllabii. Really just learn to live with it, it isnt like it requires a highly complex knowledge of syntax's and grammatical structure.

hasterz

HSC
i actually do 3 unit english and i dont mind english as a whole, but it bothers me that even though physics is heavily heavily math oriented the syllabus takes all that out. 90% of section 2 is pretty much discuss this, justify this, explain that blah blah da di da di da, and does not at all reflect the physics you do later on.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Yeah well it provides the fundamentals required for later on. Most of the mathematics stuff involved would be too advanced and, like i said before, limit the candidature that would be able to cope with it.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Oh shit, neither does university physics or university engineering in the first few years.

As an engineer said to me "the first two years is just theory and bullshit once you get past that you start seeing how it works".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)