Have a balanced life (2 Viewers)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
List few ways in which we can have balanced life.

For example,
  1. Go out to cinema once a fortnight
  2. Go out with friends once a week
  3. Make a timetbable
  4. Study 2-3 hours a day (depending on the day)
  5. Sleep all day (weekends, I am referring to)
Following example is totally out of question for me since I just listed as an example and that's my friend's. Tell about yours. I was advised my study coordinator to put some effort into balancing my life out since he is concerned that I am putting too much time into studies and might burn out.

Any comment is appreciated. :D

Foxodi

HSC
Not sure if your life should be that structured. I think one of the aspects of having a balanced life is being flexible? Just consistently study, pick up a sport (or w/e hobby you want) and enjoy yourself with friends on weekends.

boris

Banned
HSC
Structure is how you burn out and become a nut job.
If you get so set in a routine it becomes hard to break the routine. One day you'll have to break it and you'll snap.

I saw it happen to a friend. Hell bent on getting a huge UAI they structured their life so that every minute was accounted for. This was fine until they would have to break their routine and I swear it nearly made them snap.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks for that!

I did not think that "having a balanced life" is basically being flexible.
But would you still be kind enough to tell me what you do to chill out and relax?

Foxodi

HSC
Well personally I'm sacrificing friends for the hsc :D so the main things I do for relaxation atm is introverting (lol), listening to music and playing the odd game. Though for a balanced lifestyle I think you would be looking at parties, hanging at shops/cinemas, driving is good fun :D, sports, music, hobbies etc etc - theres been at least a few threads posted about relaxation and hobbies etc. They are prob in the yr 12 board.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You think that you'll have enough time to finish weekend homework if you sleep all weekend? :p

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
List few ways in which we can have balanced life.

For example,
  1. Go out to cinema once a fortnight
I don't think there are that many good movies. You'd have to have 26 blockbusters in a year.

Evan11

HSC
Parties. They stop u stressing, you hav a week of thinking about how awesome its going to be, a night you'll never forget (but probably wont remember, paradox much?) and a whole week of remembering how good the party was.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
You just have to be flexible. I have tennis training on Thursdays, and tennis competition on Saturdays, and I got put into the interdistrict team for Sundays. But I decided I won't be playing interdistrict because it'll go from 12pm-6pm, and I won't have time for school work. And sometimes, a friend has a party and all the friends get together and just game and play sport. So yeah...You shouldn't be sleeping at 7pm and waking up at 2am lyounamu, that's not really balanced, but your into a routine now...Sleeping 7pm and waking up at 2am is just crazy, as you said in the other thread of yours. Probably that's why you posted the 'Have a balanced life' thread.

ccc123

HSC
Razizi said:
You just have to be flexible. I have tennis training on Thursdays, and tennis competition on Saturdays, and I got put into the interdistrict team for Sundays. But I decided I won't be playing interdistrict because it'll go from 12pm-6pm, and I won't have time for school work. And sometimes, a friend has a party and all the friends get together and just game and play sport. So yeah...You shouldn't be sleeping at 7pm and waking up at 2am lyounamu, that's not really balanced, but your into a routine now...Sleeping 7pm and waking up at 2am is just crazy, as you said in the other thread of yours. Probably that's why you posted the 'Have a balanced life' thread.

That's the worst routine ever. You might feel as though your achieving in the short-term, but take it from me: come halfway through yr 12 ( as i have), and you'll see that anyone who relied on this nocturnal study regime is a) burnt-out and b) always sick because the insufficient sleep has screwed up their immune system.

Evan11

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Quit your job
Tell your friends not to contact you until November
Set yourself targets of 9+ hours a day
Hit the books.

Don't you people want to go to uni?
dont put uneccisary stress on these ppl. btw i cant spell uneccisary and i dont care, if i cbf i would spell check it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ccc123 said:
That's the worst routine ever. You might feel as though your achieving in the short-term, but take it from me: come halfway through yr 12 ( as i have), and you'll see that anyone who relied on this nocturnal study regime is a) burnt-out and b) always sick because the insufficient sleep has screwed up their immune system.
Let me make this perfectly clear: I DO get sufficient amount of sleep. I sleep around 7 to 7 hours 20 minutes. If I sleep more, I get more tired. Therefore, 7 hours sleep is the most desirable amount of sleep. I consulted doctor on that issue long time ago. Since I am so used to sleeping around 7 hours or 6 hours, if I stay in my bed much longer than that, there is side-effect. The more I sleep, the more tired I get.

Another point is that it is not "the worst routine ever". If you have never experienced it or experimented it, you cannot basically brand that as "the worst routine ever". It has worked for me and my close friends also use that routine before exam periods. This routine is personally suitable because of my habit and my own body clock. I also believe that this routine is the only routine where I can possibly accomodate all my studies and other social, academic life. Since my house environment is not-study friendly, I have to find my own environment in which I can study and work (which is at 2am when everyone is sleeping). The result of this routine has never been short-lived. I achieved highest standards in all my subjects except English and PD/H/PE last year and I would like to continue that with this routine.

In conclusion, I find this routine the most helpful. However, I still find people's comments very very appreciative and supporting and I will put that into account. Thanks

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Razizi said:
No, I did not put this thread because of that. I did not put this thread because I was too stressed or I was too tired of my routine. I still implement my routine and I think this routine is probably the best for me. I only put this thread to see what others do to lead their own "balanced lives". As I said, I "strive to be the best". I love learning from others and my routine was developed from that. My routine was originally used by my friends and my mentors. They taught me and gave me information on that since they thought I would be suitable for that.

My only hope was to advance this "routine" further by listening to you and I think I have made a mistake in that since people are trying to mock me purely based on my routine. If you know who I am or what I have been doing for the last 3 terms, you would not be the one to tell me that my routine is crazy. My routine proved very successful and my only purpose in this thread was to learn more. And why wouldn't you if you wish to get UAI of 100? Getting UAI of 100 is a task which is much more stressful and physically, mentally challenging than my own routine is.

I still appreciate your comment and consider more about that.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)