• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Heart of Darkness - Belonging (1 Viewer)

Coetez

HSC
So we have our first belonging assessment coming up and we have to have one related text for it. Our core is a series of 8 Emily Dickinson poems which mainly talk about nature, mortality and society. Has anyone ever done Heart of Darkness in relation to belonging? Perhaps relating it via Kurtz belonging to the jungle, or Marlow's subtle distaste for imperialism and the world he works for. I wish to know because I did it in year 11 for extension english with Apocalypse Now for 'Texts and their appropriations', so i already have notes and have read the book.
Other suggestions for related texts would be much appreciated, but our teachers are saying they must be 'substantial', so i guess well written and be able to be extrapolated from.
Thanksss :)

essayqueen

HSC
N/A
Heart of Darkness is more suitable as a related for 'The Crucible'. Another point I will mention is that teachers HATE it when students use Prelim/Yr 11 texts as relateds in Year 12 because it suggests a lack of initiative and research (ie relying on notes you 'already have').

To avoid putting your teachers - who are marking your school-based assessments and giving you your RANKING - in a bad mood, I would keep looking :)

GabbyS

HSC
I think 'Heart of Darkness' could work. I haven't studied Emily Dickinson but I used HoD for my preliminary AOS unit on 'Discovery' and it was a great texts to work with, so much represented in a concise text. You could also reflect on the representation of not belonging: the disregard and contempt for the natives and the 'us and them' mentality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)