HELP!!!!! 4 UNIT MATH? (1 Viewer)

potatoman28

HSC
So pretty much my school runs 4 unit math on an invite only basis and my marks arent too amazing right now. I have read from several sources that a school legally cannot stop you from doing a subject if there is enough space in the class. Is this true? I really need to get 4 unit math as the course I want to do in uni requires that as a prereq.

P.S. My school runs 3 extension 2 math classes, which means there is a total of 24x3=72 spots available.

carrotsss

HSC
yes they can restrict you but if you and/or your parents complained enough (with sufficient reasoning) I’m sure you could probably get in

liamkk112

HSC
So pretty much my school runs 4 unit math on an invite only basis and my marks arent too amazing right now. I have read from several sources that a school legally cannot stop you from doing a subject if there is enough space in the class. Is this true? I really need to get 4 unit math as the course I want to do in uni requires that as a prereq.

P.S. My school runs 3 extension 2 math classes, which means there is a total of 24x3=72 spots available.
what course has 4u as a prereq

potatoman28

HSC
what course has 4u as a prereq
I want to do B. of economics with adv mathematics at UNSW; on paper it says ext 1 is a prereq but once you dig deeper into the course page they actually say you have to do ext 2 if you want to be considered. Idk, its weird.

liamkk112

HSC
I want to do B. of economics with adv mathematics at UNSW; on paper it says ext 1 is a prereq but once you dig deeper into the course page they actually say you have to do ext 2 if you want to be considered. Idk, its weird.
i dont think so + unsw "prereq" is really a recommendation, they'll still let u in regardless. id still definetly be aiming to do 4u if ur planning to do adv mathematics though, it's a good foundation that will put u hours ahead of anyone who didn't do 4u

iloveeggs

HSC

my school has smth similar, only 48 seats avaliable, and unfortunately thats just how it is in mine, there isn't room for negotiation bc those that tried to convince the school got gaslit into saying that they wouldn't be up to par with the rest of the cohort and would drag them down

give it a shot trying to convince them tho, its worth it if you really want to do the subject.

also do you really think you can't make up for it with the rest of the year?

potatoman28

HSC
i dont think so + unsw "prereq" is really a recommendation, they'll still let u in regardless. id still definetly be aiming to do 4u if ur planning to do adv mathematics though, it's a good foundation that will put u hours ahead of anyone who didn't do 4u
Yeah definitely thats the same thing my mum told me lol

potatoman28

HSC
my school has smth similar, only 48 seats avaliable, and unfortunately thats just how it is in mine, there isn't room for negotiation bc those that tried to convince the school got gaslit into saying that they wouldn't be up to par with the rest of the cohort and would drag them down

give it a shot trying to convince them tho, its worth it if you really want to do the subject.

also do you really think you can't make up for it with the rest of the year?
Right yeah that makes sense. I definitely can make up for it with the rest of the year because we still have 3 maths exams to go, but I was just considering the hypothetical worst situation. Till now, we had one 2u test last term which I royally screwed and another 3u test which we haven't gotten the marks back for (I think I did considerably better in this one though). The main deciding test is gonna be the polynomials/combinatorics test at the end of this term. Should be able to come away with a good rank for that one.

iloveeggs

HSC
Right yeah that makes sense. I definitely can make up for it with the rest of the year because we still have 3 maths exams to go, but I was just considering the hypothetical worst situation. Till now, we had one 2u test last term which I royally screwed and another 3u test which we haven't gotten the marks back for (I think I did considerably better in this one though). The main deciding test is gonna be the polynomials/combinatorics test at the end of this term. Should be able to come away with a good rank for that one.
good luck! i hope you get in.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
go the extra mile, speak with your teacher/head teacher consistently about your progress and show you're making the extra effort when studying, show your progress, ask them help. basically just show that you're not dropping the course 2 weeks after first term because you think 2 + i - 3 - i is a forbidden art that you can't comprehend.

more effectively just get good marks in the final exam lol

Grey Pigeon

HSC
i stuffed up my first exams and my school only offers 24 spots

anonymoushehe

HSC

72 spots wtf thats bigger than my whole grade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)