• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP CURE CANCER & OTHER DEGENERATIVE DISEASES - folding@home (1 Viewer)

hj47

HSC
Comrades,

I'm not sure how many of you have heard of Folding@Home before, but if you haven't, it is a small program you download from Stanford University that uses your computers spare CPU (computer brain) cycles or power to simulate 'protein folding'. Protein folding is used in the body to create substances such as amino acids, which are used in DNA as the building blocks of life.

If we know how certain proteins fold, we can theoretically prevent certain genetic diseases from occurring such as cancer, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

By running the client software, your computer simulates protein folding, know as a 'work unit'. Once your PC 'unfolds' the protein, you computer sends the completed work unit back to Stanford.

Imagine if the work unit your PC unfolded revealed a folding sequence that could be used to cure cancer. :D

Thousands of people globally fold together in teams, and, if there is enough community interest, I'll be more than happy to set up a BoS team.

Website here: http://folding.stanford.edu/

So, anyone?

networkmaster

HSC
Been using it for years!

Before the DET switched to web services, couple of friends and myself had it running on every computer in the school :p

300 computers + :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)