• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HELP!!!!~! Evolution~! (1 Viewer)

Kukudas

HSC > WOW
HSC
Can u guys plz help me^^

Q1. How advances in technology have changed scietific thinking about evolutionary relationship?
- DNA Hybridisation
- Biochemistry (?)

Q2. Analyse information on the historical development of theories of evolution and use evidence to assess social and political influences on these developments?
i got the info for this point, but i wanna know about Huxley/Owen debate
Anyone have info on Huxley/Owen relating to this point?

thank you!!!

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
For Q1, DNA hydridisation refers to binding of two strands of DNA. This technology helps determine evolutionary relationships because you can use a strand of DNA from one organism and another strand of DNA from another organism and mix them together. You allow them to hybridise (or anneal). The more closely related the two are, the more base-pairing occurs and less mis-match. So when the hybrid is heated up, the hybrid with more base-pairing requires a higher melting temperature (when two strands dissociate to become single strands again) compared to hybrid that are not as closely related (more mis-match = more easily separated).

For biochemistry, you can talk about comparing protein structure or the sequence of amino acids to see how similar or different they are - hence providing evidence for evolutionary relationships.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)