Help! I have a teacher that sucks! What do I do? (1 Viewer)

jodongo

HSC
Ever since my school picked up the HSC curriculum, no student has ever achieved band 4 and above in English! And they only offer standard!

My teacher is pretty nice but she sucks at teaching English. I feel like it's affecting my marks. I barely managed to scrape an A in term 1.

My question is how is English Standard taught in Australia?

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Most easiest thing you can do is get a tutor if your teacher is bad as you say, but if that is not an option, then you are just going to have to work hard yourself and use resources on the internet to see how high achieving students write and answer the essay questions

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
He's not in NSW/Australia. So maybe his teacher herself hasn't a clue as to how to handle the subject. NSW HSC English is not what is often offered as "English" in a non-English background country. So he may have difficulty finding a tutor who is able to help him like you can easily here in Sydney, if you can afford it. Maybe he can search for a good tutor based here who can assist him on-line.

Last edited:

jodongo

HSC
Yeah, there's no option for tutors here. I am trying really hard. I looked up some sample responses for the exam and how to write them, and I saw that you have to write a "thesis". My teacher has never even mentioned that to us.

Where can I get information on writing essays?

Also, I feel like we don't really cover the prescribed texts well. Do you guys like read them in class and discuss it as a class?

kbsk

HSC
Standard teachers usually suck ass because so many of the students don't care about the subject and so the teachers don't even try to really engage the kids and get them to be critical thinkers. At least in my case, adv has great teachers and great students (makes sense) but when i dropped down because I simply couldn't cope with the amount of work I was getting - std has made me resent the way english can be taught in schools. HSC english is a really narrow subject and std makes it even weaker. I would hand in assessments that would then be marked poorly because the teacher wouldnt teach me in the first place what direction it had to go in, direction, etc. idk. (its my fault too - duh. and im still doing just as bad in adv as i was in std kms). i wish i was still in adv but im glad i can spend more time no other subjects,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)