HELP! Legal studies assessment (1 Viewer)

2lia

HSC
Hey...
well hoping someone can help me with my legal assessment-->
Evaluate the effectiveness of dispute resolution mechanisms in achieving justice for family members and include a description of how the law responds to domestic violence.

ive got the domestic violence covered but the dispute mechanisms im :S
if anyone has any recent cases that may be useful feel free to share please..

well....thanks to whoever may be answering this :)

HSC
i havent started family yet but this is from a previous student's notes:

Law Reform Commissions

· NSW Law Reform Commission is responsible for inquiries into surrogacy, de facto relationships, artificial insemination, adoption wills and child protection. The Australian Commission was responsible for reforms to the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) in 1995.
· A joint inquiry of the commission and HREOC led to the publication of the report Seen and Heard: Priority for children in the legal process which made 286 recommendations about changes needed in our legal system. Relevant issues to family included representation of children in court, homelessness and youth suicide.

Parliament

· In the area of Family Law, Fed. Govt. may only reform law relating to marriage and divorce under s51 of the constitution, and may also legislate on child contact and residence under agreements with the States.
· Most radical reform made by Federal parliament was passing of Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) which it further reformed in 1995.

The Courts

· Courts can reform Family Law by interpreting legislation in light of community expectations. In the case of W v G. the decision was made to make a lesbian mother pay maintenance for the child born of artificial insemination during her relationship.
· The recognition of a gay couple as a family for the purposes of health insurance in the case Hope and Brown v. NIB Health Fund Limited greatly strengthened the rights of same sex couples.

then there are like non legal mechanisms such as help lines (eg Kids Help Line), womens shelters etc that assist family members achieve justice.

i guess you can say that they are only effective to a certain extent as usually crimes like domestic violence goes unreported.

kylieee

myspace.com/_attitude
HSC
does this have anything to do with aborignal's etc?
coz i have something like that as well. mines an oral. how abt urs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)