Help! Major in Economics or Political Economy? (1 Viewer)

polarcola

HSC
Hey! So I'm only a first year so my panic may be premature but I'm agonising over whether I should major in economics or political economy. I took ECOP1001 last semester and while I enjoyed it, I feel as if ECOP is a lot more abstract, and less practical, than ECON in the long run.

The problem is, I haven't taken any ECON subjects yet and if I do want to major in economics, that means I'll have to try and find a way to cram in any prerequisite subjects I possibly can this semester before the deadline for adding subjects/withdrawing.

So, thoughts on the matter? I'd love to hear anybody's opinion.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
Why not major in both?

If you're under the impression that a ECON major is more vocational than an ECOP major you'd be wrong. If you're wanting to enter a Government graduate program they'd both be as valuable as each other, really.

If you want a career in 'economics' you need to have a solid base in Metrics, Accounting, Finance, Ibus; i.e. any other E&B major.

All I think you need to ask yourself is are you interested in the mathematical and conceptual basis of economics or the social and political environment surrounding economic interaction. It might be a hard question to ask yourself because there isn't a middle ground and to 'dip your feet' in Economics there are prerequisites (metrics) which may dissuade you.

I'm going to say you'd be happier in ECOP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)