• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

help me choose a laptop (1 Viewer)

jane1820

HSC
recommend me laptops with good storage and RAM preferably microsoft or hp
also can you guys plz say why u choose the laptop and if u have used it before? i saw a lot of ppl recommend macbook airs but i want a non biased opinion

want to use it for yrs 11-12 (might be shared between the family occasionally so a lot of storage) after uni im either doing optometry or math teacher (definitely no engineering)

budget is $2000 - scholarship money

jane1820

HSC
Oo I am a lil bit of a tech wiz so like would this be used primarily for schoolwork or outside things as well
primarily skl work (i have an ipad n a phone for leisure lol) but my mum might want to use it for her work not sure exactly what she might need it for but she opens A LOT of tabs so if she was to use it i want a lot of RAM for her tabs n mine
ykwim?

Demons

goated member
HSC
recommend me laptops with good storage and RAM preferably microsoft or hp
also can you guys plz say why u choose the laptop and if u have used it before? i saw a lot of ppl recommend macbook airs but i want a non biased opinion

want to use it for yrs 11-12 (might be shared between the family occasionally so a lot of storage) after uni im either doing optometry or math teacher (definitely no engineering)

budget is $2000 - scholarship money
if you're going for a Mac it may be a bit hard to adjust to the unique interface if you haven't used one before, they are pretty powerful and light so they can be taken anywhere. One downside though is that they can get pretty expensive the higher you go in storage.

But personal opinion as a Mac user, its a really good laptop and pretty fast.

Note: I did a lot of my multimedia major(really heavy on special effects which are hard on the CPU and other core components such as RAM) on my M3 Air, and it held up fine, there was no lag or anything, so I'm pretty sure it can handle the sheer amount of tabs that you want.

spiderfan44

HSC
macbooks are harder to repair urself, and also ive found that a lot of my friends with macbooks struggled using some software in D&T. i have a hp pavillion, its worked pretty well.

its pretty easy for me to repair, ive replaced the battery twice, upgraded the ram from 8gb to 16, replaced the dc port, replaced my keyboard and the shell of the laptop (some dipshit kicked my laptop and it broke the shell which ended up leading to the dc port snapping). i think ease of repair is pretty significant, bcuz if youre on a scholarship, then if ur laptop breaks then you could be out $600 if its a mac (macs tend to be quite expensive to repair, even if you go third party).

jane1820

HSC
if you're going for a Mac it may be a bit hard to adjust to the unique interface if you haven't used one before, they are pretty powerful and light so they can be taken anywhere. One downside though is that they can get pretty expensive the higher you go in storage.

But personal opinion as a Mac user, its a really good laptop and pretty fast.

Note: I did a lot of my multimedia major(really heavy on special effects which are hard on the CPU and other core components such as RAM) on my M3 Air, and it held up fine, there was no lag or anything, so I'm pretty sure it can handle the sheer amount of tabs that you want.
we have a family macbook pro so im familiar with the format of a macbook
also yes i will take ur recommendation into account thank u (atm im just seeing a wide range of laptops n comparing them to which suits me most)

jane1820

HSC
macbooks are harder to repair urself, and also ive found that a lot of my friends with macbooks struggled using some software in D&T. i have a hp pavillion, its worked pretty well.

its pretty easy for me to repair, ive replaced the battery twice, upgraded the ram from 8gb to 16, replaced the dc port, replaced my keyboard and the shell of the laptop (some dipshit kicked my laptop and it broke the shell which ended up leading to the dc port snapping). i think ease of repair is pretty significant, bcuz if youre on a scholarship, then if ur laptop breaks then you could be out $600 if its a mac (macs tend to be quite expensive to repair, even if you go third party).
is there a specific laptop u recommend?

spiderfan44

HSC
ive found that pavillion x360s have always being pretty good for me. i will add though, if youre really into games with detailed graphics or you do video editing a lot, make sure youre looking at the processors for each model. the only real draw back of my pavillion is that it has a 11th gen i5 core (though most newer 1k+ hps use a 12th or 13th gen core), because of that ive had some issues with video editing and games with high graphics. so if youre really into games with high graphics or video editing then try look for a hp with an i5 12 or 13 gen core (13 gen is better)

spiderfan44

HSC
is there a specific laptop u recommend?
id say go for a 14 inch hp pavillion x360 with an i5 13th gen core and at least 256 gb of ssd. generally for most hps you can upgrade ram, but if you just arent bothered to do it go for one with 16gb of ram.

carrotsss

HSC
MacBooks are genuinely really good just make sure you get one with 16gb of ram

Windows wise you have 3 main options for processor: AMD, Intel or Qualcomm

For AMD their naming is confusing asf but basically ideally u want something with a processor branded as “Ryzen AI 9 HX 3(2 numbers)” because those processors are crazy good and have insane battery life, might be out of budget though and if they are look for something branded Ryzen 7 8(3 numbers) or Ryzen 9 8(3 numbers) for that price

For intel their naming is even more confusing since they also just changed it by ideally u want something with a Core Ultra 7 since those are sorta similar to the ryzen AI processors and rlly good, but if you can’t find one of those within budget/at all since they’re pretty new then an i7 is also an alright shout, just make sure the processor number starts with i7-13 so you’re not getting stuck with an older model since they’re developed a lot in the last few generations

Last option is a Qualcomm processor, the X Plus is good and the X Elite is amazing. They’re pretty much the MacBook processors of Windows, so they have great battery life and good performance although some apps won’t work and you could have some small issues - won’t matter for most people though.

It’s also worth going into an actual store to make sure u actually like the feel of the laptop and the features like touchscreen because at the end of the day that’s gonna be personal preference, and also just look up a review of the laptop to find out the battery life because imo that’s very important and the manufacturers usually lie about it

ihatehsc24

HSC
I've been using the Surface Laptop 4 with AMD processor, and have no regret. It's defo a 'worth it' long-term expense imo. For me 16GB RAM and 256GB storage has done the job. The laptop is easily in your budget as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)