Help on Skydiving Problem (1 Viewer)

4GZE

Ok here's the thing.... i have a physics assignment due soon (don't ask, it's a different type of assignment)... like on the 13th of this week, and ive been sitting here trying to figure out this mutha of a question... i figured out one bit of it and yeah still not enough... anyways hope you people can help us =)

there is no need to calculate the terminal velocity since it's not used!

QUESTION

A skydiver weighing 70kg jumps from an aeroplane at an altitude of 700 metres and falls for T1 seconds before pulling the ripcord of the parachute.

A landing is said to be gentle if the velocity on impact is no more than the impact velocity of an object falling at a height of 6 meters.

The distance the skydiver falls during t seconds can be found from Newton's Second Law, F=ma.

During the freefall portion of the jump, we will assume that there is no air resistance, so F=-mg where g=9.8m/s^2 and m=70kg.

After the parachute opens, a signifigant drag term due to air resistance of the parachute affects force F, causing it to be F=-mg-kv where v is the velocity and k=110kg/seconds is a drag coefficient.

(A) Find the range of times T1 at which the ripcord can be pulled for a gentle landing
(B) Find the height after T1 seconds of free fall....

ok i figured out that the gentle landing velocity has to be less than 10.8m/s and it takes 1.1seconds for it to fall 6m...

can someone help by pointing me in the right direction into finding the velocity during the drag and the displacement of the parachuter when t = T1 ???

thanks in advance!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm... i used mechanics eqn... the algebra looks alot messy... and at the end you prolly even need to use approxiamtion method...

ok, since you haf a retardation force, you want to rearrange the eq of accelaration into v.dv/dx... and re arrange the eq so that you haf two intergrals... and do the intergration and you willget some thing messy =(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)